1989 40 hp merc running problems

dckchsr

Cadet
ive got a 1989 40 hp 4 cyl mercury; it cranks and runs fine, i have it hooked up to a 12 gal tank. when i run about 6 gallons through it it starts to skip at wot. i thought that possibly the pick up line in the tank was too short but it goes to the bottom of the tank, so that couldent be the problem. the bubble primes hard; if im driving and squeeze the bubble it doesnt change anything. if i put it in neutral and rev it up it runs fine for a minute but then starts skipping again. any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

gonefishin485

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1989 40 hp merc running problems

you know, this may sound crazy, but on an old ford work truck we had, we couldnt figure out why after an hour of running, it would just die, it would have to cool off before it would start again

long story short, it ended up bieng the coil, whenever it would get hot from the engine heat, it would quit firing, cooled off and we were off again

dckchsr

Cadet

kind of ironic you say that because once it cools down it seems to run fine again. i thought it was just because i had gotten back to the boat ramp and filled the tank again before i took it out. i might have to check my voltage/coil. thanks.

gonefishin485

Petty Officer 2nd Class

not sure what to say, because i have a generator that will only run if it has more than a half of a tank of gas, you can pull your shoulder out of socket trying to start it with a half tank, but it just wont go.

maybe start by borrowing a bigger tank and see if that makes a difference

i would advise doing it close to shore when you do though, never know what might happen

crem1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Try checking the fuel pump, get new replacement parts and install

dckchsr

Cadet

thanks for the help guys i will try the suggestions.

macca123

Seaman

Is the vent screw open on the full tank, as it needs to suck air as the fuel level falls.

dckchsr

Cadet

vent is open. ive left it closed before on accident. it acts almost like it goes into "limp mode" still not sure whats going on. changed the gas tank with another one. im going to try it again in the morning.