'85 Marlin 17ft, 3L, 4cyl, OMC

Mr. Morgan

Cadet
My buddy just gave me the boat. The motor starts and runs, and I can rev it up but the prop does not turn. The shift cables are tight and seem to function. But no life to the prop......where should I start troubleshooting?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: '85 Marlin 17ft, 3L, 4cyl, OMC

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,...

Do a search in this forum for OMC Stringer drive,... Most all your questions will be Answered...

Your's is the 400 Stringer drive....

Good Luck....

Mr. Morgan

Cadet

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,...

Do a search in this forum for OMC Stringer drive,... Most all your questions will be Answered...

Your's is the 400 Stringer drive....

Good Luck....

I searched there and am having trouble locating the right thread. Any specific ones I should look for?

Mr. Morgan

Cadet

I searched there and am having trouble locating the right thread. Any specific ones I should look for?

Also, my friend just told me he heard a pop or a snap right befor it lost power to the prop..if that helps.

Here is a picture of her....

IMG00044-20100111-1313.jpg

cr2k

Captain

Lots of parts to snap crackle and pop between the flywheel and the prop.

Are the ball gears turning? That will narrow it down the drive or the intermediate housing.

A common problem is the water pump spud shaft, if the impeller was done and not properly reassembled using the correct adhesives/greases, seals and clips.

Nice picture, but we are talking about the back end of the boat (not pictured).

Maclin

Admiral

Make sure you have water running to it and that the drive is ALL THE WAY DOWN before starting. Those types of drives should not have the engine started with the drive tilted up at all. Thye do not use a u-jointed driveshaft but rather have a ball gear set to transfer power from the upper unit to the lower unit. The ball gear set has separate pieces, one in the upper unit and one in the lower unit, these are only fully meshed when the unit is all the way down. Those types of gears can't take much of an angle so they could have been stressed in the past (or very recently!). If you tilt the drive all the way up you can inspect them.

Mr. Morgan

Cadet

Ok....well...I can't get it to start. Motor turns but will not fire. I charged the battery, replaced the ignition coil and the plugs, added some starter fluid to the carb and still nothing....The coil I got says for use w/ external resistor..but the one I took off says no external resistor required....could that be the issue? Should I replace the Points? Thoughts? Next step?

IMG00084-20100122-1415.jpg

IMG00085-20100122-1416.jpg

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Do you have power to the coil,..??
power to the points,..??
Is it timed,..??
Are the sparkplugs seeing any gas,..??

If takes Fuel, Fire,+ Compression at the right Time, for a motor to run,....
You're missing atleast 1 of 'em...

Mr. Morgan

Cadet

Ayuh,... Do you have power to the coil,..??
power to the points,..??
Is it timed,..??
Are the sparkplugs seeing any gas,..??

If takes Fuel, Fire,+ Compression at the right Time, for a motor to run,....
You're missing atleast 1 of 'em...

I have power on both terminals on the coil, but no power points. Yes on fuel to the plugs.....I mentioned that the coil that I got says For External Resistor?? But the one that I took off says No External Resistor required....??

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Without the resistor, the points are probably burned up, glazed over and not working. Put in some new points, condenser, and the proper coil.

Mr. Morgan

Cadet

Without the resistor, the points are probably burned up, glazed over and not working. Put in some new points, condenser, and the proper coil.[/QUOTE

Thanks...I'm trying to order the parts..but I'm having trouble locating the non resistor coil.....when I search for parts for my motor (west marine is my local parts dealer) I only find the external resistor coil...Can I use a coil from something else?

Mr. Morgan

Cadet

Ok...there's one that comes up and says "Uses internal resistor, for many Mallory applications "....Is this right?

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Put the old 1 back on,... Why did you change it,..??

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... So put the old 1 back on, then see WHY there's no spark...

Mr. Morgan

Cadet

ok, with new internal coil, I have power to the positive (+) terminal, none from the negetive, but when I probe the wire from the top of the coil no power...

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Read This,... If you still don't have a Clue,...
Find yourself a Mechanic....