Brake Line Replacement ?

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
I have a Float On tri-axle trailer. The leading axle has hydraulic brakes. It is the only brake axle there is, but it seems to help slow the rig down once they apply.<br /><br />When I first purchased this rig 5 years ago I replaced the brake lines with line straight from Float On. The line is some kind of plastic. It goes from the surge brake to a tee back by the axle. Then from the tee it goes to each wheel.<br /><br />They use no brake hose to go from the backing plate of the wheel to the trailer frame. I don't know if this DOT approved or not, but it is the way Float on does it.<br /><br />I found a kit that I can update to a steel line and DOT approved brake hoses. It is about 100 bucks after shipping/purchase. The other line is about 15. I only use this trailer twice a year. I just get worried because the sun tends to rot the plastic line making it brittle over time. <br /><br />I'm still thinking it will be cheaper to just keep replacing the plastic line every 4 years than to update to the steel line.<br /><br />The trailer suspension is torsion type.<br /><br />Money is tight as always, but saftey comes first. BTW my SIL pinched the line last fall with the jackstand. It just made a small mark, but when I slammed on the brakes, it ruptured in that spot.<br />This is another reason I'm thinking it maybe better to upgrade to the steel line.<br /><br />Any thoughts on whay you would do? Thanks

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Brake Line Replacement ?

BTW my SIL pinched the line last fall with the jackstand. It just made a small mark, but when I slammed on the brakes, it ruptured in that spot.
That one example would make me want to change it straight away. What about just using copper brake pipe instead of Stainless Steel if price is a problem. www.championtrailers.com sells 20' of SS brake pipe for $59.50

kence

Cadet

If you only use trailer once or fifty times a year, you need it to stop when you NEED it to STOP. I second championtrailers and their stainless brake line kits. Stainless line with approved hoses to backing plates. Most trailers with drum brakes do not use hoses to backing plates and are hardlined. I see you are in Buckeye state which does not require brakes on all axles but if you have a boat that requires a three axle trailer, you should consider adding brakes to at least a second axle.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

I got the whole drum brake kit from Champion. I snaked the stainless line thru the frame,and used the flex lines to go from the frame end, to the axle, and then to the wheel cylinders. There is a flex line from the frame to axle, then a junction block on the axle, with a flex to one wheel cylinder, hard line across the axle, and a flex at the end of that hard line to the other wheel cylinder. That is the best way to go. Just from the point of view of ease of installation, and eventual need to replace wheel cylinders, plus there has to be some kind of flex line from the frame to the axle to allow for suspension movement. <br />I like to do a job the right way and once. Doing it over and over means something was done wrong, or with the wrong materials for the job.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Copper tubing should never be used for brake lines.

cmyers_uk

Copper tubing should never be used for brake lines
Any chance of an explanation of why? <br /><br />Over here its sold for brake lines and complies with BS2871 with a max pressure 3100 psi in either straight copper or copper / nickel mix. Ive used it without problems for 4 years but dont want to do something thats dangerous. Is it corrosion?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Damage resistance and suceptable to bruising and chaffing. So much salt is used on our roads here in the winter that may a reason as well. It also results in galvanic action so the copper turns green and over time could affect couplings. You will not see it on vehicles in this country. It's not even used on fuel lines.

cmyers_uk

Thanks Upinsmoke, I am replacing my lines this year so will look out for SS. Things like that are much harder to come by in the UK. Ive just spent over $600 ($300 in carriage and charges) getting bits from Champion trailers so I should have got it then but live and learn.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I'm not familiar with the spec you mentioned and I would be out of line to tell you not to use copper if its done on a regular basis in the UK. My Dad owned a GM dealership when I was a kid and even back then I don't remember seeing copper brake lines. They were generally steel and in exposed areas, were wire coil armored.

Bondo

Staff member

I don't know if it's Law or not,......<br />But,..<br />I've been turning Wrenches since the late 60s,+ have Never seen a Copper Brake Line............<br />Even on my old Austin Minis(Pre-1967s)......<br /><br />Always Double Flared, seamless Steel.......... SSteel is a newer thing............

cmyers_uk

No problem, there seems to be differences between US and UK components. I got this quote of a US website. That said Stainless is the way to go for me as I boat in salt. I only brought copper because that was all that was sold for brake pipe. <br /><br />
The British have developed what they call "copper brake pipe", which seems to be a seamless tube made of a copper alloy that bends easily, does not rust, and is in reliable use for "classic cars". It is different from pure copper
This came from another sites<br /><br />
Our copper brake pipe is thick-walled (0.036", 0.9mm, 20swg) copper coils conforming to BS2871 for composition and ISO3951 for quality, as fitted by TVR & Volvo cars

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I was just thinking earlier about seeing copper on any brake systems. Can't think of any either Bondo. My 72 Triumph GT6+ had steel lines. <br /><br />Back to the thread:<br /><br />The trailer is set up just like it did from the factory. I did add some extra bunks, but that doesn't relate to the brakes. The frame is two aluminum "I" beams 32' long.<br /><br />I think I will order some fresh tubing from Float-On. I got to thinking, I only tow this boat the total of 30 miles each year. To update to new electric brakes on the rear axle, new backing plates, and 30' line kit would set me back 400 to 500 bucks! Factory brake line is $15 w/new fittings.<br />That means I can put brand new line on every year for over the next 25 years :eek: <br /><br />The state route I take is a bit hilly with some curves, but I very rarely tow this boat over 45 mph. Yep, I'm a chicken sh.., but I like getting there and back in one piece.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

This is a nickel copper alloy that is used commercially in a lot of corrosion resistant applications. You may have it in your cars right now and don't even know it. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference unless you had it analyzed.<br /><br />
The 90/10 Solution for replacement brake lines<br /><br />FEDHILL High Performance Alloy Brake Line is the answer. Seamless copper-nickel 90/10 alloy tubing is strong as steel, completely corrosion proof and much easier to work with. Installed by high performance manufacturers such as Aston Martin, Porsche and Audi, 90/10 alloy brake lines maintain full strength for the life of the vehicle. <br /><br />Its unique properties allow it to be snaked into positions that are impossible to do with steel brake line. Flares easier, minimum tube preparation required and no seam to split. 90/10 seals better, making it the best choice for your installation!<br /><br />No other brake line compares for strength, reliability and ease of installation. It is the perfect replacement brake line for cars, trucks and buses.<br /><br />Ideal for snow plows and boat trailers! 90/10 is superior to stainless steel in salt environments. Does not rust! Ever!<br /><br />Looks great on show cars. When polished, the 90/10 alloy reveals a brillant, 14-karat gold luster.<br /><br />Perfect for race cars; make proper, single 37 degree flares with seamless 90/10 brake line.<br /><br />FEDHILL High Performance Alloy Brake Line is so much easier to install that once you've used it you'll probably wish that you'd never used anything else.<br /><br />FEDHILL High Performance Alloy Brake Line is the permanent solution!<br /><br /> FedHill High Performance Alloy Brake Line is not copper tubing. It is a high strength alloy composed of 88.6% copper, 10% nickel, and 1.4% iron. It does not look like copper, it looks like gold. When cleaned it is plain to see the difference. Some supposedly knowledgeable people have said that only steel has the strength and reliability for high performance or race applications. Just to repeat, Porsche installs this product as OEM exactly because they wish to avoid brake line failure.<br />

Bondo

Staff member

$2.50@foot, bulk with No Fittings........... It Ain't Cheap..........

ndemge

Commander

Couple years ago, on my 20' trailer, needed to replace the lines...<br /><br />Brake lines are double flare, don't have the tool, so took very exact measurements, and went to napa, where they have all the break lines in 6" increments up to 6' long...<br /><br />I think I spent about $30 or so to re-run everything.