Evinrude 70H.P. not running

15flats

Seaman
OK, you guys gave me a lot of pointers before. I had found water in my fuel in which I drained the carbs,the fuel tank and lines. I used ISO Heet to help dissolve any other water issues. I put fresh fuel\oil mix in today along with a new fuel filter and bulb pump. The engine starts up, but I have to keep pushing in on the key to activate the choke to keep it running and the middle and bottom carbs seems to be flooding, i.e. fuel is slowly streaming from these two carbs even while the engine is struggling to run.

One question I have is, if water gets into the carbs, do they have to be rebuilt like on a small engine (lawnmower)? Could this be what the problem is?

I have a 70H.P. Evinrude E70TLCEM, the V.R.O. has been disconnected. The batteries are new. Before the water in the fuel incident, the engine ran fine.

If the carbs need to be rebuilt, where is a good place to go for a rebuild kit?

TIA

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 70H.P. not running

I think a carb rebuild and cleaning would be a fine idea. Should really have been done with the other work in my opinion.
Parts should well be available right here on iboats.

lightwood38

Seaman

The water can ball up and block jets and such, don't know if you can do it in a boat but a little metho in the fuel tank works a treat in a car.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

1989 70 hp. read ethanol, and carb cleaning, here http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=299680, remember you have 3 carbs for 3 cylinder, if the carbs are not delivering fuel properly, they are not delivering oil. can be very expensive, like a blown engine from no oil.

where did the water come from? might consider a fuel/ water separator filter.

15flats

Seaman

Well the water came from either a contaminated gas can my kid left out and never said anything, OR the fuel from the store was contaminated, I vote the gas can. That can was used primarily for my weed eater and never thought of it.

I took the carbs off and started with the bottom carb, still water is to be found, but just small traces now, but still, water is bad for fuel whether small traces or large. I checked the fuel from the line and no water to be found, so the water must have been still in the bottom of the bowl of the carbs.

Where on this site can I find the kits? I am new here and am still finding my way around.

I also have to ask if there are any diagrams or reading on removing the VRO unit completely? I removed this one and from what I can see is I just have to remove the fuel line from the unit, and take it directly to the carbs and plug the old oil line going to the intake. Does this sound correct? Someone had unplugged the wires from the unit and plugged one of the hoses from it as well. I want to do away with it all together.

15flats

Seaman

Oh yeah, forgot. I had this http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/Accessories/S-99105-20006-ASY.htmltype of fuel\water separator but was so neglected before me needed a new filter. The current filter is seized onto the aluminum housing and is soaking in a P-B Blaster bath tonight so I can put the new Attwood fuel\water filter on. Apparently the boat was only very mildly maintained. But that is all about to change.....

Thank you Fisherball for the Link.

15flats

Seaman

I found it, according to shop2evinrude site, Part #398729 and found it here on the iboats site #18-7042. But my carbs does not have the gasket shown in the middle of the picture, what is that gasket and where does it go?

15flats

Seaman

Are these kits for ONE carb or all 3? I ordered 3 kits and don't want to see enough kits to rebuild 9 carbs.

15flats

Seaman

I rebuilt the carbs, dealing with two deaths in the family has taken me a while to get this done. Now I have them back on, eliminated the VRO unit all together, connected the fuel lines and clamped them. Now when I try to pump the bulb, it does not get hard like it should, like a air leak, I looked and looked, but can not find one. What else can I do?

Fisherball

Chief Petty Officer

Get a new primer bulb! Also get a manual for the motor, it will pay for itself quickly.

15flats

Seaman

Primer bulb is brand new, added another gallon of mix fuel and reangled the boat, that did the trick. But it still does not want to run (Idle). What next? It will run for about 3-5 seconds, then stall. I followed the instructions on the top secret page as well. I think I will most likely take it to a marine shop.

15flats

Seaman

Anyone have any ideas?
I removed the plugs, what gap is for this motor? They seem fine, just wanted to check the gap size.

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

Hey there, what do you mean you eliminated the VRO altogether? Did you remove the whole assembly and by pass it? The VRO also contains the fuel pump and you can't just bypass the whole thing. You need to keep the assembly on there and just use a plug on the oil intake.

p.s. I wouldn't worry about the plug gaps unless you have changed them. I doubt that is your problem.

Cheers!

15flats

Seaman

Well I took the vro off because the piece on the bottom broke. It is rectangular, has a 3/8" hose coming from it, and had a very small diaphram in it. The oil line was plugged long ago by someone else. Is this piece important, or was it for the oil side only?