Tarp supports for trailer

Frank O

Seaman
I'm interested in putting a tarp over my boat trailer, which I store outdoors without the boat on it for nearly all of the year here in California.

A buddy suggested that I rig up some kind of support system (PVC pipe?) underneath the tarp to give it an arch in order to prevent rainwater from pooling on the tarp. Sounds like a good idea, but I'm trying to figure out more specifically how to design this. When I google trailer tarp supports, I mostly get commercial products designed to use when the boat is on the trailer. Any suggestions on a good design using an easy material like PVC pipe for the trailer by itself? I guess the trick would be to make something that's easy to knock down and store when the trailer is in use. The trailer is a fairly typical two-axle for a 21' boat.

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Tarp supports for trailer

An easy way to do it (if the trailer is in the yard and not on pavement). Use three pieces of re-barb hammered into the ground, one at the back, one in the center, and one at the front of the trailer. Use three pieces of PVC with a 90 degree fitting on one end and place these over the re-barb so they stick up just taller than the highest point of the trailer. Connect the three pieces of PVC with two more. Place a tarp over the PVC and anchor it to the ground with tent stakes. The bigger the PVC the stiffer the set up will be. When not in use just take it apart and store it away. PVC, re-barb,and tent stakes should cost under 15$.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tarp supports for trailer

Re-barb is actually "re-bar" which stands for reinforcement bar. It is round steel material used to reinforce concrete to keep it from separating should it crack. Re-bar is a bit overkill for this application but use it if it is available.