'84 Wellcraft Repairs and Paint SPLASHED

BigBoatinOkie

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Howdy there folks. My fear and stress has now turned into excitement as I have finally begun work on my '84 Wellcraft Elite XL 180. My plans are to replace the deck along with a couple of bulkheads that have a little rot. I have drilled quite a few holes in the transom and stringers all over the place checking for rotted wood, and to my surprise, I have found very little. Most of the foam is even dry. There is an area at the front of the bilge that needs to be replaced as well as two bulkheads. The cause of the rot is of course the stupidity of a previous owner, imagine that. Just aft of the ski locker, the PO decided he needed another below deck storage compartment, so he just cut a hole in the deck and screwed some angle iron into the sides of the stringers and bulkheads to make a place for the lid to sit. Awesome. He did not seal anything when he cut the hole, so the deck just soaked up water from there aft, and you guessed it, it rotted. Also, I plan on doing a little painting. The hull is cream and ugly brown. I plan to just replace the brown with crimson, which would make crimson and cream like my beloved OU Sooners, or I may do black. I'll figure that out later. Anywho, I'll be posting pics as I go and will most likely be asking for advice. Hope you enjoy. Thanks.
103_1358.jpg

103_1357.jpg

Here is a pic of the delamination on the front of the bilge.

103_1347.jpg

This is the extra storage compartment. A little rot in the bulkheads. Also a little wet foam to the right where the old helm chair sat and was not sealed.

103_1360.jpg

I got a little captain in me.

Last edited by a moderator:

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander
Re: '84 Wellcraft Repairs and Paint

And the fun begins :D Enjoy!
You gonna need to resize those photos to the forum preferred size of 640 x 480...thats keeps from having to side scroll to view the thread.
Looking forwrd to watching your progress.

BigBoatinOkie

I don't know how to resize. I have the pics in photobucket. I resized them there to 640 x 480 and reinserted them into the post and there was no change. A little help please.

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

I don't know how to resize. I have the pics in photobucket. I resized them there to 640 x 480 and reinserted them into the post and there was no change. A little help please.

They're good now...Thanks

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Good luck with the project! BOOMER!

BigBoatinOkie

Sooner! Good to see a fellow Sooner fan Archbuilder.
I got a little more work done. Outdrive is off and engine is out and did a little grinding. Those grinding disks with the overlapping sand paper are awesome.

103_1348.jpg

My little outdrive stand that I whipped together in a couple of minutes came in quite handy

103_1356.jpg

Covered in grinding dust.

103_1353.jpg

103_1354.jpg

Everybody needs a goofy buddy. This is mine. What a goober. And a dang Oklahoma State Fan.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Nice looking project. Good luck with it! I gotta say, and I don't get to say it very often but......your stringers actually look fine!

BigBoatinOkie

Yeah, i couldn't believe the stringers are in that good shape. We talk about resto denial on here often, but I was fully expecting a rotten transom and stringers and they turned out not to be. Lucky me. Maybe if everybody just started wishing for rot, there wouldn't be any.:D

BigBoatinOkie

Well, I wasn't planning on repowering, but since the rot isn't nearly as bad as I was expecting, I guess I'll have a few more dollars in the budget. I found a good deal on a '98 Vortec 350 on craigslist. I'm going to look at it tomorrow and if it's anywhere near as good as the guy says it is, and he's a mechanic, I guess I'll be bumping up from the 5.0 to 5.7 vortec. 50-60 more horsepower couldn't hurt. I'm so dang lucky, my wife loves boating so much she will pretty much let me do whatever I want to the boat.:D

betayv

hi there good project looking good.

BigBoatinOkie

Well, it looks like I'm going to have to rebuild my motor mounts, so I'm going to need a little advice. What core material would yall suggest here? Laminate plywood to desired thickness, standard pine 2x6s, or something harder like oak. I have some 1x8 solid oak planks, I thought I might laminate some of that together with epoxy. What do ya think? Also, what type of glass would be appropriate here?

BigBoatinOkie

Anyone? Sure could use the help.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Wish I had some wisdom for you, but I haven't mess with motor mounts. I used 2 oz CSM for most of my work, but a lot of the guys here like Bi-ax. Do you have any pics of what is there now?

Friscoboater

Captain

I have seen it all types of ways. 2x6, ply and oak. I really do not think there is a bad way.

BigBoatinOkie

Alright, thanks. I think I'll go with the oak. Seems like maybe oak wouldn't soak up water as easy as pine or ply if any water ever got in, not to mention its well cured and hard as heck. There is a pic of the bilge above, you can see the sides of the mounts. It's the one with the fuel hose at the top of the pic. Can you tell what kind of glass that is?

BigBoatinOkie

Found a little rot in the transom on one side of the outdrive hole. Had to cut out the inner fiberglass and I'm having a bit of trouble getting the wood out. the really rotten stuff comes out easily, but the not so rotten stuff makes it a chore. May sound goofy, but it seems like it might actually be easier if it was totally rotten.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

it is, trust me....most of mine came out with a shop vac!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Any updates?

BigBoatinOkie

No updates yet. It's been a busy winter, but I'm ready to get back to work. I'm debating on how I should go about repairing the transom. Like I said before, the rot is only on one side of the outdrive hole. The rest of the transom is in good shape and I find it extremely hard to get any of the good wood out. Is it acceptible to just replace just the center of the transom. Also, if I repace the whole thing, I'll have to tear out the aft part of the stringers and foam. I really don't want to do more than is necessary, but I want the boat to be safe. I'll take some pics soon so y'all can see what I'm talking about. Oh yeah, I did get the motor mounts built but they're not in yet. I used good cured oak 1x10's laminated together. Those babies are solid. Thanks.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Glad to hear you are getting back on it, can't wait to see your progress. I think someone on here cut out a small section of transom and replaced it....but I can't remember what thread it was.