Maintaining value of a fiberglass bassboat?

ohiou_98

Cadet
I am considering buying my first fiberglass bass boat (pre-owned, less than 10 yrs. old). My problem is that I dont have a garage. Right now the only place I have to store a boat is under a carport (with no sides). Ideally i would have a garage so it is fully protected from sun, rain, snow. I would like to keep this boat in as best condition as possible to maximize its resale. Will a carport offer sufficent protection from the elements? Or am i making a bigger deal out of this than necessary? My main concern is keeping moisture out, and protecting the gelcoat from fading from the sun. Looking for advice.....

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Maintaining value of a fiberglass bassboat?

In my opinion under a carport is still better than how probably 80% of boat owners store their boats. If you keep a boat cover on it as well, it will be practically as good as a garage. However unfortunately hardly anything depreciates as badly as a boat.

ziggy

Admiral

Or am i making a bigger deal out of this than necessary?
maybe... my poor boat sits in the elements. it has a breathing cover so no moisture build up. i keep the snow off it and it's bow high and plug out. all maint was done for winter layup, waxing, 303, the boat is empty and clean. when stored outside, ya just gotta keep it that way. cleaning after every use, cover on all the time (that's most important). you'll be more than fine with a carport.. i wish i had as much..

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome to iboats!! :D

Quick question ......... What were the boats first 10 years like and where? Proper storage now will not reverse anything but IMO proper storage is a must.

When I had a Ranger BB I used to be meticulous on keeping the carpet clean and the boat cleaned up.

Store it bow up just like anywhere else so..... if there is any moisture it will drain. ;)

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Keeping it out of the sun is #1 to me. Gell coat does not clean up like paint on cars does....for me anyway. I never had the problem, but had friends that did and I tried to help them to no acceptable avail. #2 is keep the water and trash out of it, which among other things reduces the possibility for mildew as does a breathable cover (canvas duck, not plastic). Best is in an enclosed garage, but if you don't have that then covered and under your carport is second best.

As stated, a boat is your worst financial investment, but most of us don't buy them for their resale ability. We have them to have fun and that usually means spending money and you have all your bills paid and family cared for, what's wrong with burning some bucks on some fun. Just ask me how much money I have puked over the years. Then ask me if I have any remorse. Last, ask me how some of the best minutes of my life were spent.

I spent my life taking care of my stuff to the point where it restricted my boating experience. I always bought new equipment and kept it looking new. Resale/upgrade was never a problem.

Today I have an 8 year old alum BB in very good/excellent shape for what it is, that I can run up on the beach, drive up on the ramp, bang into the pier, accept some accidental dings from rip rap, and not wash if I choose not to. I bought this one to enjoy and I'm doing just that. Gotta decide what your priorities are.

HTH

Mark

Campylobacter

Chief Petty Officer

If you are looking for an investment, look elsewhere. If you are looking to have a great time on the water, find a boat you like (and afford) and buy it.

A boat is just a hole in the water where you throw your money:D

Philster

Captain

Here is how a boat lasts, so you decide if whatever you have at your disposal accomplishes this:

>Keep water, debris and sun out of the interior as much as possible. The interior rots, cracks and fades under the pressure of sun and water.

>Keep sun off of the whole boat (top, sides, hull, engine/outdrive). Indirect sun is hardly an issue... like early morning and late afternoon.

Carports are sometimes even better than garages, because the boat is sometimes easier to access and gets fresh air. If you keep the sun from beating on it all day, and keep 'er dry and shaded on the interior, you'd be hard pressed to notice a difference between a carport cover and a garage.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Carports are sometimes even better than garages, because the boat is sometimes easier to access and gets fresh air. If you keep the sun from beating on it all day, and keep 'er dry and shaded on the interior, you'd be hard pressed to notice a difference between a carport cover and a garage.

Main thing I notice is that it gets dirtier outside and requires the cover, even under the port. Also I am not concerned about locking everything up even though crime is not a problem here. On access, the reverse is true for me as I keep it in my shop and the shop is where I spend my days (where my toys are). Grin

Mark

Philster

Captain

Um, I said "sometimes".

To me, my boat is better out of the garage. I get to move around it and it's easier to clean, service, etc. To you, Texasmark, it is not. Ergo, "Carports are sometimes even better than garages..."

Now, go back to the OP and digest his issue. He can carport the boat and ensure its longevity.

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

Depending on the size of the carport and the size of the boat, Costco has a 10' X 20' portable tent that I picked up to store my boat in, costs around 170 bucks. It works awesome and keeps the boat bone dry with the exception of some condensation in the morning. It has windows on it that I keep open for ventilation and it works great. I hung a second tarp a few inches under the roof tarp to shed away the condensation on the roof and it works great. The other neat trick you can do with these buildings is cut the side poles a little short and then go to Home Depot and buy a 10 foot stick of 2" white drain line and cut it into 2' sections and slip these over the bottoms of the side poles, you can then raise and lower the tent based on how you want to use it. I have a tower on my boat so in the summer it gets jacked way up, but in the winter the pipes come off and the cover sits real low against the boat.