Instrument on console

gmkite31

Recruit
We purchased a 1988 Bass tracker aluminum hull. On the console, top center is an "instrument" and it reads "Eagle In-Dash 1" "Made in the USA". There are numbers running clockwise 0-55. At the bottom of the console is a rocker switch marked "Flasher" that obvisouly turns on the "Eagle In-Dash" and there is a dial switch marked "Time Control" with a minimum and maximum setting.

What is this instrument? Are we missing some parts or screens? anyone that could help us, we REALLY need it! Thanks!

Sparkinator

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Instrument on console

Thats a depth finder. You should have a transducer mounted somewhere on the back of the boat.

bassboattech

Seaman Apprentice

a depth sounder and fishfinder is what a flasher is

Jeep Man

Commander

Commonly called a flasher. It reads the bottom structure and gives you the depth under the boat. The transducer should be on the back, below water level.

bassboattech

Seaman Apprentice

very true jeepman but read correctly as some older fishermen do, they will tell you when your on fish also. i found mine hard to read at 75 mph so i updated to something digital. i would opt for a digital read out if its in your budget.

Philster

Captain

Turn it on. The sender sends signals downward into the depths of the sea, and they come back up.

When each signal comes back up, it causes the signal to flash. The speed makes the signals repeat faster, which makes the unit flash faster/repeatedly. and makes the readout seem more constant/bright.

As it spins, let's say it is flashing at the number 20.... so that it indicates 20 feet deep.

If you get a flurry of flashes at all different depths, and the light/signal/indicator flashes isn't steadily at one number, that could be fish interfering with the signal.

Other depth finders send signals down over and over, except they translate it into a picture or basic digital readout. When the signal is interrupted, some units display digital fish pics, because it might be fish interrupting the depth signal.