1990 Evinrude 140 v4 Grease fittings

mgiuliani

Recruit
How many grease fittings are there for the steering tube on a 140hp Evinrude V4? Can only find one. Found a 90deg fitting under hood but seems to be for tilt/trim; I can't force any grease to appear at top of steering tube, only at bottom. Any online diagrams of this motor showing all fittings? Thanks, Mike

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1990 Evinrude 140 v4 Grease fittings

I think that you may be asking about the swivel bracket for the steering arm assembly where there is only the single grease fitting near the trail lock.

The grease will tend to only move downward if the grease in the upper end has solidified over time. You may be able to warn the upper end of the bracket enough to soften the old grease, and moving the motor side to side along with pressure from the grease gun may help.

mgiuliani

Recruit

Tashasdaddy, thanks for the input. Now I am sure the 90 degree fitting is for the tilt. As ezeke pointed out, I was looking for a second fitting for the swivel. Somewhere along the line I had heard it refered to as the steering tube. Ezeke, thanks, I'm bettin thats what the deal is. Any suggestions on how to heat it up. The steering is very "easy"; can turn the wheel with your finger. I just don't like seeing that upper end of the swivel with no grease oozing through. Do you suggest drilling a new fitting at the upper end of the swivel if heating does not fix? Thanks again to you both. I'm new to the forum and think it's great. Mike

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

I've used a heat gun but you have to be careful that there is no fuel around.