Sea Ray 220 Cuddy restoration

270win

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bought this boat this July for next to nothing...it had some carb issues that I fixed and we used it the rest of the summer as a shakedown (50+hrs) to get a list of need to do items. First, we LOVE the layout of the boat, but the more we used it the more "little" things we decided we wanted to do. I've even added items in the last few days to my list of things to do. I'm not sure how long it will take, but I wanted to document the process here.

I've been gathering prices on everything...I was thinking about doing cosmetics first, updating the interior, some gel coat work, extended platform, re-striping, updating the dash panel, underwater LEDs. But now I'm going to start with a mechanical refit.

The engine only has 528hrs on it, but it was used in salt...and it shows. The rust stains, while maybe not detrimental to the engine's reliability, drive me NUTS!!! The engine has been running fine, but I'm going to pull it anyway and replace or rebuild it.

I'm researching options for that now...while I'm in there I'm going to re-arrange and clean up the wiring, re-paint the engine compartment/bilge, There are also some leaks in the trim/tilt pumps that I'll fix. Some blower hoses that need to be replaced or re-plumbed. Basically anything that's not new or in GREAT shape is getting replaced.

I think I'm going to replace the outdrive too. I'll probably sell my current engine/drive as a complete setup.

My marina mechanic is going to remove the engine and drive for me for $250...he will also install the new engine/drive for $250 if I do it in January/Febuary. That's with me removing and installing accessories on the motor...that's cheap enough for me!

I really don't have any pics at this point other than an exterior shot.

side1.jpg

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Sea Ray 220 Cuddy restoration

Welcome to iboats.

Very nice boat. What engine and outdrive do you have now? Sometimes just the proper maintenance can "save" an oputdrive used in salt water.

270win

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Sea Ray 220 Cuddy restoration

It's got a Mercruiser 5.7 (260) with an Alpha drive. I checked the motor over pretty thoroughly and noted excessive blow-by and marginal compression in 2 cylinders. I'm considering a Rapido long block with the roller cam upgrade. I spoke to Raul a few weeks ago and was very impressed with him over the phone. I've noticed that many people here have had good experiences with them. For $1,600 shipped to my shop it's just almost too cheap to pass up.

I'm not positive about swapping drives, I spent some money on mine when I got the boat replacing the impeller, gimbal bearings and U-joints. It's fine, but the SE drives are so inexpensive that I'm just thinking it might be a good time to have new everything.

Another factor is that someone across from my shop wants to buy my engine and outdrive...it would be well below $2,000 to do the swap including buying all new accessories (water pump, starter, alternator, etc...).

In restoring many cars and one airplane I've learned the hard way that it's actually cheaper to just completely restore one than it is to fix only what I know is wrong at the time.

I did have the boat surveyed and was told that there was NO rot...I'll be verifying that for myself, but that was one reason for deciding to go ahead with buying this boat. Time will tell if that was a good decision or not. Either way, I cannot imagine a more perfect boat for our family so whatever it needs, I'll do it.

We sold a 92' Chaparral 28 Sig. to buy this boat. The only thing we miss is a stand up head...that's it. The cockpit room, performance, ability to dry stack and the option to trailer it to other local lakes make it a great trade-off.

I guess bigger isn't always better.....at least that's what I keep telling myself! LOL!:cool: