Tricker Trailer - Emergency Brake Maintenance??! (with pics)

Doolin

Seaman
Hello,

I recently purchased a 2000 Duckworth Jetsled. It came on a Tricker Trailer. This is the first trailer that I've owned that has breaks. It's an emergency break with a small cable attached to a lever that comes out of the top of the trailer tongue section.

I've seen other types of emergency breaks but have yet to see another like this one. I tried to contact Tricker... their web site is still up but e-mail is dead as is their phone number.

Here's what it looks like:

DSCI0210.jpg

DSCI0209.jpg

DSCI0208.jpg

DSCI0207.jpg

It's got a fluid cap... so I can check and flush if needed. The breaks are drum breaks so, easy enough to check. They are never 'used' during normal operation so wear shouldn't be an issue but corrosion could be.

What I don't know is, if this model works like the others I've seen (pull = locked until reset), how to reset when locked and if there is any regular service needed for the brake master clyinder.

Thanks in advance for your help!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Tricker Trailer - Emergency Brake Maintenance??! (with pics)

looks like a normal surge brake trailer to me..... the lever is for a break away

bigb2008

Seaman

Yea, basically if the trailer were to become disengaged from the vehicle, the brakes would engage to stop the trailer from trying to get to your destination solo.

Bondo

Staff member

They are never 'used' during normal operation so wear shouldn't be an issue but corrosion could be.

That's where you're Wrong,... The lever is a Emergency brake,... Not a Parking brake...
The coupler is a surge actuator,...
The pressure against the coupler from the towunit slowing pushes on the actuator, causing the trailer brakes to Work...
Everytime the brakes are applied in the towunit...
The lever's cable is clipped to the towunit, so that if there's a separation,....
The trailer brakes will lock up,+ Hopefully stop the run-away trailer...

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Like Bond-O said.
In your third picture you see the slot in the vertical metal pieces behind the ball tightener knob. The trailer portion will slide towards the ball when your tow vehicles brakes are applied and momentum of trailer goes forward.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Go to Titan Brakes. There are good manuals and technical information for download.

tractoman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yep,
Manual is available for download and it's very helpful. I just rebuilt my model 60. If the lever is tripped forward by a breakaway you remove the top plate to set it back to the proper position. Like others have said, it's not a parking brake.

Doolin

Seaman

Thanks for all the info.

I used the word 'Emergency' brake more in the true sense of the word... rather than the common sense (parking break). I was aware that it couldn't be easily set and released.

I didn't know that this was a surge break setup though (thanks for pointing that out). I'll check the Titan web site to see what they have.

This trailer is about 10 years old... any guesses as to how long that actuater cylinder should be good for?

I haven't had the time yet to pull the wheels yet to look at the break pads & slave cylinders... I guess since it is a surge break setup, wear could very well be an issue, although I have no idea how much the original owner towed the boat.

Thanks again.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

boat trailers very seldom wear out..... generally they sit and rust/rot..... bad seals and rust are what to look for..... leaky master and wheel cylinders, oil or brake fluid soaked brake shoes, rusty brake lines etc

Doolin

Seaman

I hit the Titan site and sure enough... that's a Titan model 60 with all the documentation in PDF format (thank you very much!).

So, the first thing it said to do, to check the actuator was to loop the safety chains to hold a long 2X4 and use the 2X4 as a lever to push the actuator in.

With 3'+ of leverage, pushing with all my weight, I got a very slight creak... I think it might have very slightly moved.

So, it's stuck. I found the parts diagram and for my model, it's not quite an exploded view (the kind connected with lines so you know what goes where) although the parts are laid out in the general area that they go.

My assumption is that I can just take the through bolts out from the sides and take the top cover off. My concern is that when I get the last bolt out... the damn thing will explode like a can of spring snakes and I'll never even find all the pieces :confused:

The parts diagram doesn't make it look like that'll actually happen... but if anyone has taken a similar one apart... I'd be interested to know if there are any 'tricks' or 'lessons learned' from that process.

Thanks again!

Bondo

Staff member

This trailer is about 10 years old... any guesses as to how long that actuater cylinder should be good for?

Ayuh,... They last until it gets contaminated with water,+ then plugged with Rust...

With 3'+ of leverage, pushing with all my weight, I got a very slight creak... I think it might have very slightly moved.

If it's properly bled, it maybe Fine now...
There shouldn't be very much movement...
It should only take a small fraction of an inch movement to actuate the brakes...
Loosen a bleed screw on a wheel cylinder,+ See...

Doolin

Seaman

I'll do that. The user's guide also suggests lubing the moving parts... so I've got to dig in anyway.

considering the degree of 'deferred maintenance' on this boat... I'm going to guess that nothing has even been done to them.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

It is very likely that the wheel cylinders need replacing. You need to check to see if the brakes are working when you apply the actuator. These wheel cylinders don't last a long time. Jack up each wheel and spin it while someone applies the brakes with the break away lever. If they don't,time to pull the wheel and have a look. You should be pulling the wheels/hubs anyway to check the condition of the bearings anyway.

Doolin

Seaman

I've jacked up the wheels on the trailer to have a listen... there was no 'slop' but when I spun the tire... I couldn't tell if there was any bearing noise because there was noise from the break pads. Not sure if that means there's a problem or not... got to pull the wheel to have a look anyway.

Doolin

Seaman

An update:

I disassembled the Titan Model 60 actuator and pretty much everything was rusted together and the master cylinder looked like hell.

It took a 18" pipe wrench to get the plastic cap off to reveal that it was only 25% full and was full of rust and chunks of... glop.

I disassembled the master cylinder and the cylinder tube and seals weren't in too bad of shape. As suggested in a post above, I checked out Champion and sure enough... they had the rebuild kit.

I completely disassembled the master cylinder thouroughly cleaned it inside and out, wirebrushed the outside, etched with phosphoric acid (which also helps convert any remaining rust) and applied a couple coats of high temp paint. I'll rebuild and reassemble when the kit arrives.

I went to the first wheel and it was a bit of a pain to get off. I'm used to drum breaks being stubborn... but when I 'tested' the actuator and it made that little 'squeek'... that was enough to lock up the wheel... not good. The rest of the difficulty was just my ignorance. I'm used to drum breaks that come off... leaving the lug nuts. This one has the lug nuts on it... as well as the outer bearing... and the bearing nut. DOAH!!

By this point I alread had the master cylinder off and there should have been nothing holding break pressure on the drum but it was still stuck pretty good.

After removing the bearing nut and bearing, I was able to rotate the drum with a 2' lever. I had to do this for a while until it loosened up enough to be pried off.

The break pads and drum weren't too bad off, less than 50% wear. Lots of dust buildup and some rust. The slave cylinder looked pretty bad... and considering it didn't let go after the breaks were released, I figured I'd rebuild those as well.

There was no room to stick my head behind the drum to see what I was doing... no luck just feeling my way either. I got a hand mirror and was able to get the break line out as well as 1 of 2 cylinder bolts. I couldn't get anything on the second one... the Drum Mounting Plate was too close to the bolt to get anything on it. So, I had to remove the whole drum to get that last bolt. This will make cleaning and reassembly easier though.

I went to add the clyinders to my Champion order and couldn't find a rebuild kit... hmmm... but they did have new aluminum cylinders for a good price so I ordered a pair (1 left and 1 Right).

Getting the master cylinder out of the trailer was tough... there wasn't any slack in the break line and the angle was bad getting the wrench on the fitting. I think when I put this back together, I'll get a foot long flexible extention and do a little loop at the end of the break line. That'll give me plenty of room to get the fittings in right.

I'll do one more update when everything's back together.

Thanks for all the help and feel free to point out if I've screwed something up (like painting a master cylinder... I know... break fluid removes paint... I'll be careful :) )

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

My suggestion is to get new wheel cylinders and master cylinder. Rebuilding those items is a waste of time in my opinion.

Doolin

Seaman

Why do you say that? The only potential difference from new is corrosion. The clyinder has been in constant contact with clean break fluid since new and showed no sign of deteoration. The old seals weren't even in that bad of shape but for $20, new seals are worth it.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I agree on replacing..... I never rebuild brake cylinders any more as I have had a couple fail and it just isn't worth it to me. I just takes a very little pitting to make a cylinder fail... If it had any corosion or wear marks at all replace it. I would very seriously consider replacing the brake lines also

Doolin

Seaman

If there was damage to the cylinder, I would have replaced it... they sell the new master cylinder housings which I considered... but the only real difference would be that it's new. I also looked at the break lines they have... nice... stainless.

I seriously considered those... but had to ask myself... why? And, I didn't have a good answer. There is nothing wrong with the existing lines. The master cylinder reservoir had some ugly glop in it... but from the cylinder tube to the slave cylinders was clean and the lines look fine on the outside.

Has anyone ever had break lines corrode through?

Another factor in my consideration is that I didn't even know that this thing had surge breaks. I thought it was just a break away emergency break and it towed fine with the breaks inoperable. Not like a car... where people die if the breaks don't work.