Pole Saw

mscher

Lieutenant
Anybody use one, gas or electric? We have some very large trees to trim.

I already have a manual pole saw with a tooth blace. It a great workout, but takes too long, when you have got a lot of limbs.

The only real requirement for me is that the chain is an auto-oiler.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Re: Pole Saw

You are talkin chain saw I believe, what do you need to know, how many cc engine, lenght of bar, biggers not always better, and do you want it to last 1 year or ten. puddle jumpers the logger around here he will know:D

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I bought a small one that I use an an attachment on my weed trimmer...... it looks similar to this one http://www.amazon.com/Poulan-PP5000...f=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1262919649&sr=1-22 but...I am too lazy to clear the snow drift to open the tool shed ;) Good for a home owner but probably would not stand up to commercial use.

Mine has a small built in oil tank and on my straight shaft weed eater it works okay. The toughest part is getting used to using it. At first I was having the chain fall off quite often until I got the hang of it. Mine reaches up a good distance and does a good job. I would have no hesitation slicing through a 6-8" limb but WATCH YOUR HEAD!!

OldePharte

Chief Petty Officer

I have an electric one that I got from Lowe's. Reaches about 14 to 16 feet and the chain saw is removable for hand use. Wish I could remember the brand, but it is 150 miles away right now. One of my better purchases as I use it for much of my cutting nowadays. And oh, it does have an automatic oiler.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Get gas, I recommend Stihl. Find a dealer in your area for Stihl and go take a look.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... I bought the same attachment as Bob, last summer for my Sears weed-wacker,...
I've used it a few times,+ was quite pleased with it,...
It's just a homeowner version of the Pro-models, but for occasional use, It's Perfect...

Grand Larsony

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yup - I have the Lowes full set of Troy-Built stuff (string trimmer, chain saw, blower, hedge trimmer, etc).

They're ok... but ALWAYS USE PREMIUM FUEL and additive for no-hassle starting.

And the hedge trimmer wears me out in about 20 minutes.

And you can indeed drop a big limb on your head using the chain saw.

Get the extra 18" extension -- I think it came with my chain saw but I also use it on the hedge trimmer. Maybe that's why it wears me out.

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer

We have a Stihl. It's works great and uses the same chain as the small saw we have. It's nice being able to keep one chain for two different saws around.

Bondo

Staff member

And the hedge trimmer wears me out in about 20 minutes.

Ayuh,.... I saw a Troy-built in Lowes that was the same exact machine as my Sears branded 1,... 32cc 2-st.
I agree it gets Heavy trimming overhead Lilacs,...

Last summer, I built a bracket that mounts it with the hedgetrimmer attachment on the transom of my 12' tinny...
The bracket has a throttle set built in, so I set the cutter at 90?, crank it up, set the throttle to a high idle,....
Then start rowing around my waterfront, around the houseboat,+ the neighbor's dock,...
It works Great,.... just 18" at a time....

I'm on the hunt now for another cutter head,...
I think I can build an adapter plate,+ coupler to give me a 36" cuttin' path.....;)

Ooh,... Forgot to take pictures,...:rolleyes: Next summer maybe....

jimr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have a Remington electric pole saw and the saw is removable. It works excellent. The only problem I have ever had is I dropped a limb towards me and jumped off ladder I was on and it bent the pole instead of hitting me........yes beer was involved

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Got a cheap Ryobi gas job for the occasional use I have it for it works great, I dont need the $700 dollar Stihl.
I gave about $250 5 years ago and it has about 9' of pole in 3' sections. Gotta watch for the falling stuff. Do love my Stihl SH86 tho. :cool: