PFD's

eastont

Chief Petty Officer
I've always kept my PFD's in the boat but close at hand just in case. They are the old original vest style that is a) very hot in the summer & b) uncomfortable to wear for any length of time. Now that I've purchased a dinghy I will need to have one on at all times.......

I've been snooping around looking at inflatables and there is a huge price difference between the various types. The lower end ones require you to blow it up yoursefl....this seems kind of dumb considering you might not be able to do that because of a accident. Then there are the ones that have mini compressed air tanks that blow up with a tug....then there are the ones that inflate if they go off balance. GEESH !!!

Any thought as to what you find works best considering I'm about 200# and not a young man. I'm leaning towards the tuging types.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: PFD's

i use the stearns auto inflatable vest, when alone. i also use the stearns auto inflatable belt, it inflates and you pull it over your head. the have a CO2 cartridge.
i made the mistake of leaving one out in the boat, it rained, the vest inflated.

it is comfortable and easy movement.

stearns 1339 vest.

Attachments

• stearns pfd.jpg
    stearns pfd.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 0

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have Stearns Voyager vest type PFDs. One would expect them to be hot, but they are not. One would expect them to be expensive and they are, but worth every cent.

Most people who find themselves in the water after being on a boat have no warning and no time to don a PFD. Even the best swimmers are often injured or unconscious.

I therefore wear mine if I am on the water. Really a no brainer.

heycods

Captain

i use the stearns auto inflatable vest, when alone. i also use the stearns auto inflatable belt, it inflates and you pull it over your head. the have a CO2 cartridge.
i made the mistake of leaving one out in the boat, it rained, the vest inflated.

it is comfortable and easy movement.

stearns 1339 vest.

Thats the vest I use, works great, If my neck was a little longer it woul be more comfortable.

j_martin

Admiral

I have 2 hydrostatic vests for my bass boat. They will autoinflate if they are immersed about 6 inches in water. Drenching rain, waves over the bow, erc don't bother them.

Downer is they are more expensive, and quite expensive to re-arm, so goofing off with them is a no-no.

I have fallen out of my boat, in warm water with lots of help nearby. Alone in cold water, I'd have bought the farm.

hope it helps
John