1996 200HP Evinrude running rich

jiffyboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hi, I have a 200HP , model E200TXEDR, that it takes a long time to start , when it does, it runs rich , I see a lot of smoke event after been running for several minuts, I notis that the base time advance was like stocked , not muving at all, and I can see like a very shiny black color around it , it seems like if it burned, ..will this cause the motor to run rich under acelerations? also it runs very rought in idle, like missing and die ,them it starts fine againg but keep running rough, compression is good 110 psi per cylinder.., thanks for any info

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1996 200HP Evinrude running rich

When you turn the ignition key to the start position voltage flows to the starter solenoid and the powerpack through the red and yellow wire; the voltage to the powerpack puts the engine into QuikStart mode which should automatically advance the timing until the engine reaches around 1200 RPM or 96 degrees F. If the timing fails to advance, the motor will be hard to start.

You should be able to see the linkage move forward as the timing is advanced.

You can troubleshoot the system using the following link: http://cdielectronics.com/downloads/CDI_TS_Guide.pdf

see pages 51 through 55. This is a large file so it is best to save it to disk.