Winterizing water inlet hose

boatingedge

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys,
I have a 1996 Maxum 7.4L Mercruiser Bravo 3 that I am keeping in the water year round. As this is my first year with this boat and first time ever keeping a boat in the the water, I am concerned about the water inlet hose freezing and potentially start to leak. I have already winterized the rest of the boat and engine and also have a bilge heater so I am ok for now. But I don't want to take the chance of the electricty going out and thus freeze the inlet line.

The mercruiser manual says that it must be disconnected and plugged to prevent water from flowing back into the cooling system. My question is how do you plug the hose? Once I disconnect it from the water pump water flows in. I assume I can lift the hose up to stop the flow of water, but obviously if it were to fall while sitting at the dock, the water would start gushing in. Is there some sort of cap that can go over the inlet hose that will seal it for the winter?
Thanks

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Winterizing water inlet hose

you could cap it but it would still contain water that could burst the hose. Does it have a sea-**** to shut off? Safest method is to pull the boat for the winter .

boatingedge

Seaman Apprentice

Unfortunatly no seacock. The hose goes from the water pump straight to the Y-pipe (I think thats what its called.)

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Ace hardware and Napa carry rubber plugs you could cap the hose with.
As far as the rubber freezing and cracking it should expand instead.
The main concern is the engine is drained...
These nights in the teens around here will sure crack a block if the power fails or the heater quits..;)

boatingedge

Seaman Apprentice

Yep block drained and antifreeze added so it should be ok. Good point about the rubber expanding. The water pump could still be an issue though as it could freeze as the water is coming into it from the inlet hose. I will try and get the rubber plugs you reffered to.
Thanks for the info.

Bondo

Staff member

The water pump could still be an issue though as it could freeze as the water is coming into it from the inlet hose.

Ayuh,... Is this the in-coming waterline from the Outdrive to the raw water pump,..??

You've also got atleast an oil cooler,+ a P/S cooler in that line, which are no doubt full of Water....

Jeepster04

Chief Petty Officer

There was a topic about this not long ago but nothing was ever really said about what to do. One person said to pour veggie oil in the pipe since it would stay on top of the water but whos to know if it would stay in there with the boat moving around. Our boat has two inlets for the engines and they have been fine for many years without taking the hose off. Its not the rubber hose that youve got to worry about, its the metal coming from the OD. We also have two stand pipes for heads(toilets) and they have also been fine. Our lake doesnt totally freeze over but it usually gets around 1" of ice in spots. Power went off for 13 days last winter so everything definitely froze.

havasuboatman

Ensign

Disconnect and plug the low pressure (inlet) side of the hose. If the water the boat is sitting in does NOT freeze it wont freeze in the drive.
However, the water in the hose INSIDE the boat very well may freeze should the bilge heater fail. The hose is the very thick walled one. It wont expand a whole bunch what may happen is that your plug my be forced out. So tie it up as well.
But of vital importance is ALSO disconnecting and draining the other water pump hose and coolers as Bond-o said. Your pump housing is bakelite and very easily cracked.
But if you don't plan on using the boat, why leave in in the water?

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You have more to worry about than the hose,what about the bellows?I've seen shift cable bellows cut from the ice and sinking a boat.Pull her out and you won't have to worry all winter!!!

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

The lakes water temps around here usually only get to about 36 to 38 over the winter so that helps.
It has been colder than normal but i have not seen any freezing on the lakes yet.

I'm glad mine is on the trailer though..;)

Bondo

Staff member

The lakes water temps around here usually only get to about 36 to 38 over the winter so that helps.
It has been colder than normal but i have not seen any freezing on the lakes yet.

I'm glad mine is on the trailer though..;)

Ayuh,.... Around here, the lake water is still about 40?....
But,...
The 18" of Ice on top of the water is considerably Colder.......:p

boatingedge

Seaman Apprentice

Thankfully no ice to deal with on the lake, although with how cold the temps have been lately who knows if it will remain that way. I will definitely disconnect the oil/ps cooler hose to protect them as well as plug up and tie up the inlet hose. I just wish the temps would get out the the teens at night around here. It would help me sleep better.
And next year I am pulling it out of the water for the winter.
Thanks again for all the info.