Rusty metal primer vs clean metal primer?

saltymike

Seaman Apprentice
I've heard not to use the rusty metal primer on clean metal, my dilema is that my trailer has some really bad totally rusted areas on it and then there are some parts that are partially clean. I'm planning on using the rusty primer on the entire trailer. Does anyone see any negative issues with this?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Rusty metal primer vs clean metal primer?

Before you do anything you should carefully check those "really bad rusted areas" you mentioned for structural integrity. If it is that bad on the outside, it is probably twice as bad on the inside. Simply painting over rust does not make the trailer safe if the rust has caused structural problems. That shiny trailer may break in half if there are strength issues.

jfadool

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Really check the rust on the trailer. I have had a trailer rust out from under a boat sitting in the garage. Get a wire wheel for an angle grinder or a wire brush and take it down to bare metal.

And as already said new paint does not help the trailer structurally. And I do not thing that a primer for rust will solve the problem.

saltymike

Seaman Apprentice

I agree and thanks for the advice. I guess I didn't make myself very clear...I have already chiseled away the rust and sanded it down to the metal. I was just wondering if there are any serious problems by using the heavy rust primer on pre-sanded semi-clean metal?

halas

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have been using the Rustoleum brand primer that is made specifically to used on rusty steel , the "Rusty metal primer".
It held up well on all surfaces: rusty, shiny steel and previously painted.

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer

I use Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer for all my metal work including new fabrication, no problems in a lot of years. I do wipe down with either mineral spirits or a slow evaporating reducer. Start thin, give it a chance to haze, and build up a couple coats. Prep work really pays off.:)