Largest boat to stay on trailer

redeye1962

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was not sure where to post this but I am looking for a cabin cruiser to buy and was wondering what is the largest boat I can get that can stay on the trailer. I have heard anything larger than a 25 ft boat will warp if stayed on the trailer for a long period of time. Can anyone help out?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Largest boat to stay on trailer

I'd say that most boats could be damaged by an ill fitting trailer.... A proper trailer that supports the boat well should be at least as good for it as setting on blocks and stands and probably better..... I'm gonna keep my 28 on the trailer and I don't see any issues with that once I get the trailer to fit it right

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... My 34' Houseboat sits on it's wagon 7 months or more out of the year....

If you're asking whether a hull is Trailerable, as in goin' down the road,...
You're limited to 8',6" wide,+ 13',6" high, on the trailer....

45Auto

Commander

bond-o said:
You're limited to 8',6" wide,+ 13',6" high, on the trailer....

You can go over the 8' 6" width if you get a wide load permit. In some states they are very reasonable, in others they are a pain. You'll have to get one for each state you're going to be hauling the oversize boat in. For example, in Louisiana you can get a cheap "Recreational Wide Load" permit good for as long as you desire (cost is $10/month) over the phone.

With a trailer that properly supports the boat there shouldn't be any issue leaving it on the trailer forever.

TilliamWe

Banned

As smoke said, any trailer can damage any boat. Boats longer than 25' are kept on trailers every day, with no ill effects. It's all about having the trailer set up properly to properly support the hull.
Whoever told you that boats 25' and longer can't stay on trailers, doesn't know what he/she is talking about.