What used piano would you purchase?

strokeoluck

Petty Officer 1st Class
We have an 11 year old daughter that enjoys playing the piano. She takes private lessons once/week, and has done this for the last three years. We are on our second keyboard piano (first one was pretty basic) that works fine, but my wife thinks it's time for us to buy her a "real" piano. She says a used upright is fine.

Budget is not a major issue - I'm frugal but assuming we can get a decent used one for <$2k? Space isn't an issue either, we plan on putting it in our living room which rarely gets used.

For those of you that have been through this before could you provide your thoughts on what brand we should look for?; age ranges?; any other piano intelligence you can provide? I know virtually nothing about pianos. :eek:

Thanks in advance for your help!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: What used piano would you purchase?

Don't get a spinet. They don't typically have good sound. Get at least a console. Can't go wrong with a Baldwin (found in lots of school classrooms).

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Wurlitzer's are a nice piano. Yamaha's I hate to say it are a good buy. If you can find a Kurzon within your price range then go for it. They are usually overstrung and have an amazing tone. The older Leonard piano's out of Detroit were extremely well built as well.
Good luck and encourage her to keep playing. I took lessons from age 5 to age 19. Get's us a lot of party invites and it is just great to play when you get a chance either for others or just for yourself.
We picked up a Leonard 4 years ago and really like it.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

My paternal Grandmother was a concert pianist in her youth. She had a Baldwin concert grand in her living room and is largely responsible for my love of Beethoven.

I believe that Baldwin and Steinway are the class of the industry but Yamaha is the best value.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

My paternal Grandmother was a concert pianist in her youth. She had a Baldwin concert grand in her living room and is largely responsible for my love of Beethoven.

I believe that Baldwin and Steinway are the class of the industry but Yamaha is the best value.

Agree with the Steinway's. It's just the price that is an issue with me getting one !!:)

Brent S

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A piano is a very personal thing and a quality piano will last a lifetime.
Since you do not play, I would find one that is seemingly in great condition and have it tuned and checked out before you buy it. This will cost about $100.00. A good tuner may be willing to check it out before you buy it and then tune it at your home.

At the very least make sure ALL keys work as well as the pedals. Check to see how softly the notes can be played and still carry through the room.
You should not have to bang it to get good sound.

you'll be surprized to see how much your ear picks up just by listening to your daughter play her favorite songs, first softly then louder.

A good-sized upright is great for the home. My favorite brands are, Mason and Hamlin, Steinway, Schomacker, and Baldwin(the older the better on Baldwins)

These are VERY personal choices.

As far as age is concerned my Schomacker is 60yrs old and survived 4 brothers learning on it. A good piano tech will be able to tell how much life is left.

The piano is a joy in my life that I will always thank my parents for. (and being the youngest and the one who plays the most I still have the family piano)

If your daughter is like most kids (and me) she will complain at times about lessons, but will thank you.

rogerwa

Commander

I went through this a few years back.. One thing that you should know before you start looking is that the manufacturing dynamic has changed quite a bit.. So a name brand in the 70's that was a good name, could now be a Korean MFG or Taiwanese.

I happened to see a New Knabe which was a quality brand many years ago but is now made in Korea. Not saying that is bad, but you will find that they are just not made the way they used to be. I could have bought a brand new imported piano for the same amout as the used one, bu the quality and tone of the used was so much better.

One thing you can do to educate yourself is to sign up and participate in the Iboats for Pianos at Piano world. If you go used, you can get a pretty good assessment of the value and quality by posting on this site http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/

Since your in the twin cities, I would suggest a trip to Bodines in Richfield. It is run by a dad and his two sons. I bought a Wm Knabe upright from the 70's in excellent condition for $2K. I found the experinece much better than going to Schmitt Music. That was more like buying furniture. BTW, the guy at Bodines also delivered it.. By himself.

If you go to Bodines, they will show you inside what makes a good piano.

In any case, check out the forums as they will help you immensly to understand what you are looking for..

aspeck

Staff member

Baldwins WERE the class of the industry. Bought out by a Chinese or Japanese company ... currently aren't being made because they were junk. Still some old ones hanging around. If you find an old Baldwin, you have a piece, but newer ones, stay away!

Lot's of decent used ones from individuals at cheap prices ... just bought an older used Baldwin in good shape for $200. Cost another $90 for the tuning.

Look for estate sales and moving sales ...

Bigprairie1

Commander

Well as a piano player...and owner (old full size upright grand) I would say don't rule out looking at the newer Yamaha digital electronic pianos'. Yep, that's right...electronic. They have a full 88 key board system and with the sound derived from digital sampling of a concert grand they have an excellent piano sound and their keys are very carefully weighted in their action to respond and act like a regulard piano. Seriously, they don't sound like those cheesy 1970's electronic pianos....well worth checking out.
The nice thing about the full size piano's is that they also can make for nice furniture. Here is the kicker tho'....the weight!!!:eek:
A full size upright weighs close to 500 lbs with a full size sound board. They are a bugger to move around. The electronic one weighs about 50 lbs.
Regardless, take the time to check 'em out, you will be surprised at how good they sound.;):)
Either way, do not get an 'apartment' size piano or a 'birdcage' style piano. Check out Craigslist for some nice older pianos and check out some of the Yamaha full size keyboard electronics.
All Good
BP:cool::)

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Good point. We have a Yamaha "Portable Grand" I agree with the sound however there is nothing quite like the "feel" of a real piano to me.
Just my 2 cents though.

strokeoluck

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks everyone, this is terrific information. I think I'll start by visiting a couple piano stores in the area (Bodine's will be on the short list; awfully close to my office), let them educate me a bit and then decide whether to buy used/new at retail, or shop on Craigslist. Thanks again!

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Growing up we had a Yamaha baby grand in the house. Sounded pretty fine to me, but I am a musically challenged player, but an avid listener. We now have an upright Seybold, which came with the new place. Had it reworked and sounds really sweet and rich.Weighs quite a bit too.

A friend just picked up an upright for free off CL, just had to move it.

LadyFish

Admiral

I grew up on a Baldwin. Nearly everyone in the family played and I took lessons for 12 years. It was a great piano!

tommays

Admiral

Dont know what the family owns BUT there is a bunch

IN this area there are a LOT of used piano stores and you will be better able to aasure the piano is in good condition as we found very few private sellers kept up with the tuning :)

If a piano has not been serviced on a regular basis you could spend a great deal of money before it stays in tune again and they all require regular service ;)

57whitehouse

Chief Petty Officer

My grandmother gave me her "Schafer and Son" piano from her youth. She played it when she was a little girl. It's a full size upright, tiger oak wood with ivory keys. It plays beautifully and is over 100 years old. The sound board on the older ones tend to be made better and keep their tuning longer.

j_martin

Admiral

When my kids were doing the piano thing, I got an old upright that had almost a full set of strings, a good sounding board, and good pins. I rebuilt it and it sounds great. A good upright can sound as good as a grand piano. That's something a spinet could never do.

I don't think I'd do that in this market. There weren't good pianos available back then for 400 bucks.

Fun project, though. Got all the advice, parts, and tools I needed here. Cost about $350 and a few Saturdays to re-hammer it and go through the action.

http://www.balaams-***.com/piancont.htm

You'll have to fill in the stars, or google "piano owner's survival guide" with the quotes. This site won't allow the Biblical URL. (Numbers Ch 22)