Glen-L malahini

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Glen-L malahini

I thought this was cool, so I posted your pics...

022.jpg

021.jpg

020.jpg

019.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

andgott

Master Chief Petty Officer

Great job- A very classic looking boat! I've always wanted to tackle a project like this- Perhaps someday!

-Andrew

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

WOW!!!! Great WORK! How did you do the Deck Striping and the two tone staining? What Wood did you use? Mahogony Ply??? Mahogany for the rub rail?

Again GREAT JOB!!! And GREAT Story!!!!

Sean-Nos

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for that, all the frames are mahogany and the skin is mahogany ply I cheated a bit on the striping and just stained the ply deck and used car striping ,it's very hard to get thin mahogany strips here and my band saw was not big enough to cut the planks.This boat was built on a very tight budget so I had to go the cheapest way and beg steel or skip dive all the way , I ran an ad in all the local sites to get an engine and got 2 80hp mercs 2 50's and a 65 for next to nothing and made one good 50hp .

bananaboater

Ensign

Great job. Looks really fine and FLOATS!!!! Just kidding.

You have the same OB I have, Merc 400.

Best of luck with your boat.

Albert

Sean-Nos

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great job. Looks really fine and FLOATS!!!! Just kidding.

You have the same OB I have, Merc 400.

Best of luck with your boat.

Albert

It's actually a 500 but I could not find the right face plate,still looking,you got to love the old mercs.

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer

damn... i cut a piece of wood twice and it's still too small!!!
nice work!!!!
where is your location and how long did take you?​

Sean-Nos

Petty Officer 1st Class

damn... i cut a piece of wood twice and it's still too small!!!
nice work!!!!
where is your location and how long did take you?​

I live in Ireland and the build was about a year working at night and a bit at weekends as I have a handicap wife and son it was a big escape for me,my dad died last year and he was a lover of boats so I built it for him in mind something I should have done while he was still around but I was the black sheep most of my life and its only when he died I knew how much I owe him.

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer

sean

it's never too late to learn or love!
my project is more of a rebuilding my relationship with my son, than a boat. i have seen several guys here have a "helper"! my father and mother passed within 2 months of each other several yrs back but i find myself leaning on them constantly.

the fire has motivated and inspired me!
the heat has made me move, and the light has showed me the way.​

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Fantastic workmanship and ingenuity. I am currently contemplating taking a fiberglass hull of an old 14 ft boat and making a wood top that looks like yours. Yours is an inspiration for me. I only hope Mine looks as good as yours. If and when I get started I will make sure and post pics as I go along. Best of luck to you and your family. GOD Bless !!!!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

This is amazing. For the last couple of weeks I have been looking at GlenL and the Malahini plan in particular and have been consisdering giving it a try.
When I first looked at your picures I recognized them from the Glen-L site. You did a wonderful job on your boat, and your dad would be proud. I also watched your other video where you stayed ahead of the chase boat http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uDVzcVpdhc&feature=related and you first launch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2BrG3jij0g&feature=related
That would be just too fun going on the first launch of a boat you built yourself.
Congratulations. Job well done.

Sean-Nos

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, as it turned out the chase boat had left his bung out and was filling up with water he was getting slower and his wash deeper we had to get a diver to put it back in,"always remember to check your bung"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXxP8fKgwrs

limulus

Cadet

I have also been considering a Glen-L and have been looking at the Zip. You have done a beautiful job with that Malahini sir. Congratulations! BTW, I always protect my bung;)