Repainting a 1965 9.5hp Evinrude

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer
Hello,

I would like to paint the motor housing, lower unit, and hood.

1.Where can I find color description of an 1965 Evinrude 9.5hp?

2.What kind of paint would be my best choice?

I'm new to outboard motor repair, but have managed to restore and repair 9.5hp with the help of the forum guys!! There all kinds of paints and stuff on the market, but I'd like the opinion of guys who have done this already.

Any suggestions would be great! Thanks in advance.

Cajuncook1

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Repainting a 1965 9.5hp Evinrude

I'm not sure of the exact names of the colors, but here's an image from the 1965 catalog. Also you may want to check www.nymarine.ca . They will probably have equivalent colors.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Great winter project!

You can do quite a few things ......... if you are going to use a small paint gun get the color matched at a good automotive paint store.

Regardless of color........ it's all in the prep. If you sand to bare metal be sure to use some zinc chromate primer on the bare metal.

I did a quick white coat on mine using Fusion paint and it brought the engine cover back to life.

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer

After insuring a good cleaning, can I paint over the exist paint or is it better that I do a sanding first then a painting???

Thanks for the nice picture it helps. Yes, this will be a fun winter project!!:) My wife thinks I'm nuts because I'm already looking for another vintage to restore!! It just a great feeling to get one these up and running. The price of new outboards is well.....very expensive!!

cajuncook

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

I would say you need to sand it up a bit. This roughs it up a bit and gives the new paint something to 'stick to'. Just me. I am no painter.:D
good luck!

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Clean it well...no oil or grease left anywhere, then sand the original paint with 220 sandpaper to rough up the surface, clean again to remove all residue, apply your color paint to a small area and let it cure for a few days...then check it to make sure you get a good paint bond to the surface. If not, resand and use a coat of self-etching primer before you color coat. Some factory paint works well as a primer...while others not so much. Surface prep is everything...wear nitrile gloves while doing the final cleaning...even a tiny bit of oil from your skin (fingerprint) can ruin you final color/paint coat if you're not careful.

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks very much for the information. Will take my time and try to do a good job!!