15 HP Evinrude 1986 white oil in

dipsnoop

Cadet
I have 15 HP Evinrude that recently started spitting white foamy oil from the small circular port at the back of midsection of the outboard. I checked the plugs and they have dark oil on them. Can anybody give me hint on what would cause the white oil?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 15 HP Evinrude 1986 white oil in

welcome, check your compression, could have water leak into exhaust chamber.

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My guess is that You may not be running the motor fast enough at times, especially when returning to the ramp to warm the motor up if you had been using it mainly for trolling previously. With the oily plugs, & light colored oil coming from the relief hole in the upper rear exhaust housing, it is a indication that the inside of the exhaust housing has a quantity of unburned oil that has mixed with the warm exhaust water.

This being the case, when you pull it out of the water & let the motor set for a while, you will also have a quantity of oil drip out of the prop. This oil will usually be black because it has picked up a lot of carbon inside the exhaust housing. This is normal.

However if you change your oil to a semi-snythetic, this will help some. Also run the motor hard getting back to the launch helps.

As Tash- indicates it is water in the exhaust chamber, but the way this motor is made that is normal.

Look at my http://www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings/Johnson 9.9_15.htm article under "Water Passage Thru the Motor"

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it is normal for water and exhaust, to mix after the exhaust chamber. in the chamber they are separate.

dipsnoop

Cadet

Thanks for the quick reply. The motor had been sitting for about a month before I took it out. No oil has dripped out of the exhaust at the prop since I got back a few days back. The only oil I see is near relief hole. I trolled for a long time on that day before I notice the white oil so I ended up trolling all the way back to ramp because I thought it might damage the motor if I ran it hard. I guess I was wrong. :redface:

I guess the thing to do is run it hard the next time out and see if I still get the oil right?