1957 Johnson RD19 35 HP seahorse Long or short shaft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

69starcraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm guessing this is a long shaft motor? I did a search and everyone talks about an extension that should be pretty obvious. I don't see any "extension" but the lower unit seems pretty long.

DSCF1108-1.jpg

I got this motor free. Was sitting for approx 30+ years in a basement.
A little pb blaster soak and she spun freely with minimal work.
Cleaned the points, cleaned the carb, a shot of ether and she fired up the third pull.

Lower unit is now off to inspect and most likely replace water pump. If it is in decent shape I will keep it in for barrel run purposes only while I finish evaluating the motor.

2 things I need to address off the bat is the throttle linkage is broken. A little tab the fits in the geared slot is broke off. Might be able to use an old bolt and the drill press to re-fabricate.

Other problem is the Shift rod is broken off from the handle up in the leg. Any ideas how to address this? Is removing the leg difficult? This is the upper shift rod and what was rattling around in the leg. It was bent so I sliced a chunk off and slid it out.

DSCF1117-2.jpg

Anything Else I should look for in evaluating this motor? I'd like to put it on my feathercraft. I think the motor shaft is same size now that I just looked at my feathercraft resto link. The 16 is in storage so I can't get at it to measure, but in the pics it looks pretty long too.

I still have the working Johnson controls from the old 25 that went MIA and they fit this motor. It would be nice to put this on the feathercraft.

I am mostly worried about engine internals....I am a competent mechanic, but have never messed around "inside" a motor. i.e. rings, splitting cases, bearings, etc.

Last question....any ideas on how to do a compression test on a motor that is a pull start only, and has a compression release so you can pull it? :confused:

69starcraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1957 Johnson RD19 35 HP seahorse Long or short shaft?

Oh, here is a pic of the top

I found a tag up front says RD-19
The cover is a "split-top" style

Also curious what other older johnson owners have done as far as matching paint colors?

DSCF1110.jpg

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

That's a short shaft Johnson. A long shaft will have a 5-inch housing extension between the top of the lower unit and the bottom of the leg. Check out the attached pix of one I just restored in 09...it's one of two Big Twins on my boat. See the extension on the leg? Keep your eyes open for a donor motor...it isn't difficult to pull the leg and replace the shift rod, linkage and handle. Having a parts horse around is a good thing. Get a schematic for it...ask for one on the Ask A Member board at www.aomci.org
GM Maple Leaf Red or Cayenne Red in Duplicolor auto paints are a good match for the original Holiday Bronze. This guy sells factory matched paints and other stuff:
www.nymarine.ca
But it is pricey. Those are great motors, very stout and reliable and easy to run and maintain. Do this to check compression: remove pull start and disable the comp release; take plugs out and use the notch in the flywheel to pull it over with a rope (wrap around the flywheel); plug comp gauge into plug hole and pull it over with the rope about five times, on both cylinders. Compression readings should be above 80 lbs. psi and pretty close to each other. If it has no spark, pull the flywheel and examine the coils...they are probably toast. You can replace coils/points/condensors and plug wires for less than $75 on that motor. Clean the carb, service the LU and replace the shift rod and you should have a real workhorse for your Feathercraft. 24:1 is the recommended fuel mix, don't use ether...it's hard on the internals...no lube in it.

Attachments

• RprofileLR.jpg
    RprofileLR.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 9

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

This is also a good place to get parts too, if you can't find them here.
http://www.vintageoutboard.com/ I was able to find a lower unit reseal kit for my 1953 25hp and an impeller. Lot's of other good stuff too.
nymarine is great for paint and decals, plus they have a lot of good pics to use for samples, while you restore your own.:cool:

gjonz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

To replace the shift shaft, you'll have to pull the powerhead off. The replacement gaskets are available through NAPA.

Very simple to do using a VERY BIG flat tip screw driver and I think a 7/16 wrench. The shift shaft has to be replaced and reattached at the top of the exhaust leg...under the powerhead. Once you get the screws out from below, and the nuts off the studs under the carb at the front of the block...just lift the powerhead off.

While you're there, replace the lower crankshaft oil seal (available through Sea-Way Marine).

I have two 1956 Johnson 30hp motors I run. They are restored and great runners.

You can see them at my blog: http://conductorjonz.wordpress.com/2009/05/09/1956-johnson-rje-18e-javelin-is-finished/

Good luck!

Greg

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Man that Javelin is a piece of art, It would be in my living room.

phineas

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a motor like that and I plan on putting it on my FeatherCraft as well. But i am looking to make mine a long shaft as my boat is a 1959 Ski-Bo and has a 21" transom. I have found a donor 25HP with the extension on it but i need the shift rod yet for a long one as the one on the 25 was ruined by welding previously. What kind of FeatherCraft do you have? Most of the ones I saw had a shorter transom, thus needing a short shaft motor.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Man that Javelin is a piece of art, It would be in my living room.

Which one? the one in this thread? or the one that gjonz just restored?:D:D

soundchaser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If that motor starts and runs like you say it does, You should fix it and run it for a while. Let the rings reseat and then you can do a compression test. If it passes that, clean it up. rings could be a bit stuck in the grooves right now, It needs to run and loosen up.

69starcraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class

WOW! Thanks for the responses

I guess I will go ahead and keep her. I am glad it is a short shaft.
I am jazzed that the controls I have on the boat fit it to. I might pull the power head off today if it is not to hard. The upper shift rod besides being broke is very corroded and weak. I may be able to fabricate a new one, or find a complete one. If any one has this part shoot me an PM.

Coils and points are in good shape. look like they were replaced at least at one point and being stored inside they weren't bad looking. With fiddling I have spark on both cylinders. I'll need to get new wires for sure, but think I can use some spare hot rod (yellow) wires I have. Looks like the other end just slips onto a tooth/plug on the coil.

I have only fired it up twice with the ether. I am aware its not good, however there was enough PB blaster in the cylinders when I freed it up she should be ok. Total run time was 3 seconds each time...enough to see she had life. It started #3 pull after 30 - 40 years in storage.

Phineas - My boat is a 1954 FeatherCraft D-lux runabout. Been in the family since 1957 or so. My Grandfather bought it "new-used" and I am the 3rd owner. There is a complete write up on the boat and what I am doing to it on the Iboats Restoration forums. There is a link to it in my signature and its full of pictures.

People tell me it resembles a large Flat Iron for huge bedsheets when looked at from the side :D

Gjonz - I am at a loss from your post and your blog for words. WOW:eek: what a great looking motor!! Even better what an incredible Vagabond you have!! If you checked my resto thread you'll see that I am not going "museum" quality right now. We use it all the time when weathers nice, but all the things I have done have for the most part not damaged or changed the boat much. The dash is the worst part as there were holes for various things added over the years, the original Start/choke plate was lost over the years.

Reading through your blog I now know what kind of motor was originally on this boat. When I was a kid we just called the motors the "25" and the "16" the 16 west bend went on a rowboat, and the 25 johnson went on the back of the old blue boat (yes, the feathercraft had been painted by my grandfather, epoxy paint too)

We never used the 25 much for some reason, I think it had issues of some kind, wouldn't start or something. Grandfather was no mechanic. The motor was left behind when the lake house sold many years ago. I retained the controls for the 25 as well as the 16hp West Bend (1960) that I still use today.

I would love to have your RD-17! That would make my feathercraft original.
If anyone wants to trade one for this RD-19 I have shoot me a PM.

Today am going to pull powerhead, start ordering parts slowly over the winter

I checked out the paint supply website. Ouch! Anyone used a cheaper solution?

69starcraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class

And now we have a new problem

Pulling the impeller all 3 stainless screw have snapped.:eek:

It looks like the housing from the water pump is a seperate piece of aluminum from the case

since the heads are off the screws flush, can I wiggle the aluminum housing up off the studs so I can heat and work them loose? or is the aluminum housing threaded as well.

Does that piece even come off? it looks like it does

Help?

gjonz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

And now we have a new problem

Pulling the impeller all 3 stainless screw have snapped.:eek:

It looks like the housing from the water pump is a seperate piece of aluminum from the case

since the heads are off the screws flush, can I wiggle the aluminum housing up off the studs so I can heat and work them loose? or is the aluminum housing threaded as well.

Does that piece even come off? it looks like it does

Help?

The housing is not threaded on. You should be able to wiggle it off. Then used penetrating oil, like PB Blaster...and maybe some heat loosen the bolts. If using heat, I would heat the aluminum, and let it cool several times to creat an expansion...contraction so the metal eventually breaks free and allows the penetrating oil down in the grooves.

My Vagabond has been sold to a couple down in Tennessee due to my wife job being cut back. The old green 25 was a good runner, but slightly underpowered for a Vagabond in my opinion. A 35hp will be just what you need.

I ran my Vag with the '56 30hp Javelin and a 12 pitch prop. That made for a nice set up. But the 35 would probably have been better. And that Javelin get regular use...and will again this summer.

I am getting ready to work on a 1957 Javelin I got in trade for a Martin 200, and was just given a 1959 Evinrude Lark. Ugly motor with the big mailbox cowling!!:rolleyes:

Right now I'm working on a 1957 Evinrude 35hp Big Twin that was a trade for some work I did on another motor. God has that motor been a pain. two of every three bolts broke off!:mad:

Let me know if I can help further...and good luck!

Greg

69starcraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The housing is not threaded on. You should be able to wiggle it off.

My Vagabond has been sold to a couple down in Tennessee due to my wife job being cut back. The old green 25 was a good runner, but slightly underpowered for a Vagabond in my opinion. A 35hp will be just what you need.

Let me know if I can help further...and good luck!

Greg

I just sent you a PM....so you think the 25 is underpowered? Remember mine is a D-lux runabout...only 13 ft. Aren't the Vagabonds 14 or 15?

Good to hear housing is not threaded...I'll keep working till she is loose. If I can get to the nubs I can heat and work them out.

I'll keep posting as I progress

69starcraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Got 1 bolt out and saved the threading. The other two fought all the way back.

The actual shaft or screw holes are cracked now slightly.. I had to drill them out oh so carefully. Thought I had enough that I could tap out the remaining thread material. Couple taps and both holes under the steel Impeller bottom are cracked slightly. I can't rethread them now at all.

However the holes are clear all the ay through.

think there will be any problem holding these two together with a longer bolt and a nut underneath?

I'll take pictures if needed. Hate to think this thing is fried now.

Luckily the one that threads closest to the driveshaft is fine...its the two outer ones

Thoughts?

soundchaser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If the casting is cracked under the pump, I'd just pick up another lower off of ebay.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

I bought a brand new LU housing at Seaway once, because the half of the cavitation plate on my motor was broke off. I believe you could still get one up there.:cool:

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

I'd replace the housing...try Laing's, Twin City Outboards or a wanted ad on the classifieds at www.aomci.org

gjonz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Here's the problem...and I'm going through it too.

The lower unitleg and bottom (clam-shell) are drilled as a unit. Therefore, the bottom shell is not interchangeable with all other exhaust legs.

I currently have a stripped hole for the fulcrum screw on the shift lever in the lower shell, but have found a complete lower unit to replace it.

If you want to try your luck, you pay the shipping and I could send you my upper leg, but it may...or may not work with your lower shell. Roll the dice I guess?:redface:

My opinion is look for a cheap one around on Webvertise on AMOCI or eBay.

Greg

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I have an RD19 also that I hope to get up and running soon. I also have the parts manual. Send me a PM with your email and I'll send it to you.

Jon Vick

Recruit

Pretty sure it's a short shaft. I just got the same engine, 1957 I think..RD 19. My engine has a longer shaft that what I see in your pic. I need to convert to a short shaft. EDIT

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.