shifting problem??/

I have a 1967 120 hp mercruiser #2055736 with a alpha one sterndrive #2072395. Last week I was fishing on the delta and ran through some weeds that did not clear the prob so I stoped, put it into reverse and gunned it to clear the prop. after doing this the boat would not go back into forward gear. After 5 minutes of trying to shift it it finally went in gear and got me home. I had this problem 1 year ago and it was the lower shift cable. So I replaced it and it has run great all summer long until now. At first I though it might just need adjusting at the shift plate but once I got to looking at it the boat wont go into either gear without adjusting the cable. I have not yet tryed to adjust the cable because If I dont get either gear now, then I can only adjust it one way or the other and this will only give me use of one gear or the other. The shift handle feels a little stiff but not significantly more than it use to. I tryed to pull the sterndrive off and check the shifting mechanism but couldn't get the drive off. I have a manual for the boat and the only thing it said is to put the boat in forward gear, so I did this but i could only pull the drive about 1/2 an inch away from the gimball housing. I was confused by this because 1 year ago I had the drive off and did not have this problem. Should I have put grease or anti-sees on the yolk wear it goes into the flywheel? BUT when I had the drive 1/2 an inch apart I could see the end of the shifting rod or what ever it is called and it seamed to move just fine. I pulled the lower half off of the sterndrive and I can get the lower half in and out of gear with a socket no problem, so does this mean that I dont have enough travel either way on my shift cable. I dont think this can be the case because the only way I can think of getting more travel is to change the shifting handle. but I have been running the boat all summer just fine. After I changed the shift cable last time and adjusting it, it always went into forward just fine. But reverse you had to push the shifter a little further than I thought you should have to but it always shifted before the RPMs raised so I never thought it was a problem??? Any advise or ideas to help me get the drive off and fix my shifting problem would be greatly appreciated. anything at all!!!
Thanks Andrew

Bondo

Staff member
Re: shifting problem??/

Ayuh,.... You Don't have an Alpha drive they didn't come out til the 80s you have 1 of the several Pre-Alpha drives if you disconnect the cable at the shift-switch you should be able to maneuver it into Forward at the drive allowing it to slide Off at that point you need to find the SLOP in the shifting system the bushings in the bellhousing commonly wear causing this kinda thing Once the SLOP is elminated it should shift Properly...

Btw,.... Ever heard of a Paragraph,..??:rolleyes:

cr2k

Captain

Wellsomeofitcouldbeinyourshiftingcontroloritcoudbeyourlowercableagain.

havasuboatman

Ensign

Follow the shift cable adjustment proceedure. There is an adjustment that could be out that will effect the throw of the shift cable, Though I doubt that is your only problem.