Year and info on a rather old Sea King?

Caddy_Kid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was recently given a rather old Sea King outboard. It is 5 N.O.A HP twin and appears to be from the late '30's as near as I can tell. No model numbers on it, only what I think is a casting number on the water jacket of 101931. I have included a few click-able thumb pictures below:

I had to clean the points and solder on one of the plug wires to the coil, but she fires up and runs. Got all the old grease out of the lower unit and re-packed it with fresh grease. Super simple little motor. The reed is in the carb and makes a cool clicking sound as it opens and closes. Only pushing 60 PSI, but it is even between the cylinders, and may get better once the rings get moving again. Did have to pull a rather large mouse nest out of the exhaust which made her run a fair bit better.

I'd like to know the year if possible, and I will probably need a water pump impeller for it as well. It is missing the factory timing advance lever, but I may be able to make one that looks similar if I cant find a factory one. The power head looks like a 1938 picture I found on the internet, and the lower unit looks like a 1940. So maybe a 1939? Not sure. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks!

nathangreen

Recruit
Re: Year and info on a rather old Sea King?

Hey I have what appears to be the same motor but with out the decals or any type of model or serial number. I too have the same 101931 stamp on it as well. I would like to find out as much info as possible like you. I will check this post frequently to see if anyone has any help for us! I also have another older motor that I believe is a sea king as well but does not even have the sea king stamp on the recoil but more about that later.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Any words/numbers embossed on the top of the rope sheave? That should tell the tale...if you can find a model number I can probably date it for you.

Caddy_Kid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Unfortunately all that it says is "Sea King" on the rope sheave. I can't find any model numbers anywhere. The lowest 1/2" or so of the "starting instructions" decal on the top of the tank is worn off, not sure if it would have been up there.

About the only thing that defines the motor at all is the Sea King logo and that it is 5 noe HP. Other than that, no defining characteristics. I have read that it is identical to an Evinrude Handytwin, but can't find any information on that model of motor either.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Handitwins were made from '36 (2.5 hp) to '40 (3 hp). The number you posted doesn't match any of my Sea King numbers back to 1939-40. Someone on the Ask A Member board at www.aomci.org might know from the pix.

Caddy_Kid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I figured I'd give them a shot at some point as well. The only numbers that I can find look like casting numbers on individual parts. I guess that the year is secondary to an impeller and other parts availability. Don't really have my hopes up for those though I'm afraid.

Caddy_Kid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I've got a topic going over on the AOMIC boards. Here is a link to it over there. We'll see what happens!