Lake superior, need suggestions

bristolian

Cadet
Me and my wife are visiting 'Lake superior' this summer from the 'Minnesota' end, we are not taking the boat this year but are going for a 4 day visit to scope it all out for next year 2011.
WE WILL GOING AROUND JUNE 29/4TH JULYISH

Is there a road around the perimeter of the lake, map shows there is???
Super 8 motels, are they only in town or are they on that perimeter road??
How many miles is the perimemter if the lake is 350 wide??
We want to scope out marina's, and get aquainted with the area!
Thanks exsperienced Great lakers' !!

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant
Re: Lake superior, need suggestions

Wow. Sounds like a very interesting trip.

For your trip next year here are a few questions: What type of boat do you have? Do you intend to use the boat just for day trips? Do you plan to go from one harbor to another by boat?

For your shorter trip this year:

As far as driving all the way around the lake, by Google maps it is 1045 miles using the primary roads.

I only have experience on the south shore, Michigan side of the lake. It is very remote and there are only a few Super 8 type establishments in the shore side communities. There are plenty of smaller hotels, motels and bed and breakfast type places to stay at....however, even those are mostly near the towns.

With only 4 days I would think the most you would be able to do is see the Minnesota shore. It may worth getting over the the Apostle Islands in Wisconsin. I am hoping to be up in the Apostle Islands next summer.

backwater dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Lake Superior is a big cold rough body of water---so It's good to explore it by car first--great advice to visit the Apostle Islands--they are about an hour drive east from Duluth,Mn, along the southern shore into Wisc--the only island you can visit is Madeline---there is a ferry that runs about every hour or so--it's around 15 miles long and has a couple hundred full time residents and summer #'s go way up.

I have a very good freind that could hook you up with a boat to charter or even better, maybe book somethink to spend the night in--either in the harbor or at anchor----It's a area that is very untouched and well worth the time to check it out---any questions let me know---Steve

bristolian

Cadet

Thankyou gentlemen, that gets me started good, looks like i'll have to keep it Duluthish, being that it is such a huge lake so i think that's what we will do with only a few days to exsplore, cant cover it all in that short time.
We will plan hotels in 'Duluth' then and scope out marina'a and just get a feel for the area, nothing like being new to an area with a boat and fumbling through maps and trying to find you way around towing a boat.

Boat;
I wont be able to do much with this lake with my boat, it's a 17 ft Crestliner V8 I/O seats 6 people, 3 will be on it.
It has a 20 gallon tank, so i'm estimating 2 miles per gallon, so maybe we wont even get out of the marina;

Can a person go out say 1/2 to 1 mile and cruise the coastline???
How far is it from one marina to the next if i need fuel??
Can i take a 17 footer on this lake with all other talents being equal, like maintenance, safety gear, GPS compass etc???

Thanks again mates.

Jeep Man

Commander

Personally, I don't have experience on Superior,but a good friend has a summer place (soon to be retirement place) on the Canadian side. We've talked about the lake and the conclusion is that your boat would be OK on Superior for very limited use. Check the weather, pick your days, and don't venture out too far. Superior is deep, so not prone to kicking up quickly, but is a force to be reckoned with when the wind is blowing. My friend has a 17' Crestliner outboard for the smaller lakes and a 23' Crestliner cuddy cabin for day trips and overnighters on Superior and Huron.

Bearfan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I use to take my 16' bowrider on Superior, but I was really cautious about weather. It changes quickly on Superior (in the harbors anyway) and I've had some pretty white knuckle returns. I lived in Marquette for 6 years until this summer. There are a lot of deaths on Superior every year, so make sure your safety gear is up to par and you're wearing it. It's a real cold lake and you don't survive long in the water.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

Can a person go out say 1/2 to 1 mile and cruise the coastline???

Yes, within reason. However, without a particular destination you can go and go for miles without much of a change in scenary. Not that that is a bad thing. It is a beautiful part of the world.

bristolian said:
How far is it from one marina to the next if i need fuel??

It really depends on where you are and where you are going. There can be some pretty significant distance from one marina to the next. You have to plan your trip pertty carefully, especially with a boat that will have a pretty limited range.

bristolian said:
Can i take a 17 footer on this lake with all other talents being equal, like maintenance, safety gear, GPS compass etc???

On good days a 17 footer can be used on the lake and get you to some nice locations.

backwater dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well---your'e getting advice from good hearted boaters who must not have boated on the area your'e talking about.

#1-it's time to look at a chart

#2-check out the hotels near the lift bridge betweet Duluth and the city of Superior, Wi.---it's a cool area with lots of bars and good places to eat and hang around with a great view of the lake.

#3-Superior is a very rough lake--as you look over your chart the closest anything are the Apostle Islands on the southern shore---thats where Madeline Island IS---the whole Island area is a National Park

#4-The Apostle Island are about 90 miles east of Duluth--at 2 miles a gallon--20 gallon tank---leave the boat on the trailer---there's really nothing to see unless you like wide open water

#5-If you HAVE to get your boat wet ( trust me-I understand ), trailer it to Bayfield or Washburn Wisc, which after you look a map or chart over, you will see the Apostles are right across the bay-(LOTS of good lodging around that area also) -in that area a boat like yours with good weather and a watch on the wave reports( VERY IMPORTANT) you should be OK.

#6-To go to the outer tip of the Islands( I forget--theres 20 or so ) it's about 30 miles--so bring a little extra gas-cell phone-marine radio-good life jackets, ect, ect.

With a little planning you should have a great trip---last Sept, we took a 36' Albins Trawler from Madeline Island to Sturgen Bay near Green Bay on Lake Mich-about 700 miles--36' boat--13' wide--Big Diesel engine--still after watching all the weather outlets--spent 6 LONG hours in 16 to 18' swells that blew up in a hurry---be safe and have fun--again if you go up there I can hook you up with people in the area if you need some help or just a little local info---good luck--Steve

bristolian

Cadet

Thanks steve, with your advice and others i am starting to get some great insight as to just how big and dangerous this is, i agree i wont be taking no 17 footer too far, sounds like you got some great boats.
I'll look into the wisconsin thing you mentioned when i get my maps out, i woulndt mind giving the old girl a drink if poss, and of course coastal and safe and all other talents equal, maintenance, radio, charts, gps, spare fuel, etc etc!! The opostle islands would be nice but not in my canoe, so i really will check into the wisconsin trip too, thankyou steve!
Thanks again mates, real exsperiences is what i want to hear, you boys up there know your stuff!!

ifallsguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you do the Apostles, check out the singing sands (I don't remember the island name) and the sea caves. Great scenery in the national lakeshore. Several ramps including Sand Bay (2-3 miles to seacaves on mainland shore) and on around to Bayfield.

Also Tall Ships will be in Duluth end of July/early August.

As for being on Lake Superior, it is called the inland sea for a reason. It is cold, deep and weather changes quickly. But with proper planning and equipment, including marine radio, charts and GPS, you can crusie off Duluth/Superior and the Apostles safely.

Another place to check out is Voyageurs National Park, about 3 hours north of Duluth. One of the big secrets in Minnesota, with 4 major lakes, campgrounds, lodges, sightseeing and lots of great fishing.

ifallsguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here is an excellent source of information on the Lake Superior region:

http://www.lakesuperior.com/

And you might want to locate a copy of their Lake Superior Travel Guide :

Lake Superior Travel Guide
2010 Annual - 23rd Edition

http://www.lakesuperior.com/catalog/lstg.html

and this is for anyone considering boating on the big lake:

Bonnie Dahl?s
Superior Way
Fourth Edition
The Cruising Guide
to Lake Superior

http://www.lakesuperior.com/catalog/swiv.html

I am not connected in any way with Lake Superior Magazine nor profit in any way from the publication or sale of any of their products.

Icyharp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just wondering if you have decided to make this trip yet. We are doing the same thing with my boat and a friend of ours with his crusier.

Here is some more info on the shore and with that if you look at the safe harbors along the MN side it gives you a nice details about the harbor and nearest city.

Small Craft Harbor Guide to the North Shore of MN

I have drove the North Shore by road a few times, you cant get the feel of what is really out there as far as what you maybe looking for.

Next year is the Apostle Islands for us.......

Wecanoe

Seaman Apprentice

Since you're driving this trip, may I suggest sticking to the Minnesota side since you only have 4 days. Apostle Islands are great, but you would need to take a boat. Sea caves near Cornicopia, WI are neat, too. We've been there by hiking across the ice and by canoe on a nice calm day. With all the warnings about big waves, you will be surprised how many days are glass calm, too. We've spent more time in a canoe on Lake Superior than a boat (sticking close to shore and within 5 miles or so of the landing.)

I would spend at least one night in Grand Marais, maybe two (we ALWAYS go to Sven and Ole's Pizza, but there are classier places, too!). The farther up the shore you go, the less people. If you can make it as far as Grand Portage or Thunder Bay, so much the better. Fort Williams (old fur trading fort in TB) is better than the one in Grand Portage, but stop there if you don't go to Thunder Bay. If you want to get into the woods for a bit, the old road (old hwy 61) to Pidgeon River is narrow but paved. Partridge Falls is back there if you have 4wd and can hike a little. There's another falls on the pidgeon River at the state park in Grand Portage. Of course there are falls all along the way up!!! Cascade State Park is a favorite.

If you check out the guides already mentioned, you'll keep busy! The visitor center on your way out of Duluth has a good Circle Tour map for this trip and whenever you can get back for a week or better. We're making our annual trip to Lamb's Campground in Schroeder in August, but we're usually on the north shore several times a year. We have a route from East of Hibbing we sometimes take (without the camper) that gets us about 120 miles of dirt roads with less than 5 miles of paved connectors to get to Tofte or Lutsen. We usually run out of daylight taking that route in the fall or winter. (I drive a Jeep).