'56 15 HP Johnson Ignition dilema..

OldJohnson6hp

Seaman
This one has me stumped. No spark in top cylinder. I have done the following:

Switched plugs..plug is good
Swapped Coils...Coil works on other side
Condensor switched..Works fine on other side
Checked point gap..spot on ---(did not switch these around)
Checked plug wire with multimeter--used sounder, red in plug cap black on coil side nice audible beep

Previously replaced coils, points, condensors few months ago..motor has been running fine. Went to go out tonight, would not start, checked spark and found dead on the top cylinder

Any ideas guys? I have no idea what could be wrong here..could the point just die? They are clean..heck they still look new! Didn't switch it to the other side to check..I'm lost.. everything else seems to work when placed on the other side..nice big healthy spark. :mad::mad::confused:

Thanks for any help with this one..

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: '56 15 HP Johnson Ignition dilema..

Eliminated plug, coil and condenser.

Plug lead shorting to ground??

Points ?? but they cannot exactly die. insulation ?? wiring??

Checked your kill switch/wiring or doesn't it have one ??

kbait

Commander

A plug wire under load may be shorting to ground. Also, you can set your multimeter to continuity and remove wires from point set and check through the points when closed. My multimeter says 001 when I just touch the leads together, and that's what I look for when checking through the points. Doesn't take much to gum 'em up, but unlikely to totally fail in a month.. I'd replace the plug wires.. perhaps you didn't get the pin from the coil into the wire core of the plug wire when you switched 'em? Also, did you check spark w/a tester? Are you sure the offending cylinder has compression? When you replace plug wires, use a fine file to shine up the points and make sure you re-set them to .020 at their widest opening on the cam. From your description it sure sounds like either a plug wire or one point set, as you didn't swap them over. But do check compression, even if it's holding your finger over the plug hole and spinning the motor to pop your finger off evenly between the two cylinders. Good luck, and check back w/progress!. (use copper core plug wires from marina, not automotive plug wires as they will fail quickly!)

lindy46

Captain

I had the same problem lately with an old motor I was restoring. Switched out coils, plug wires, condenser, and cleaned and filed the points until they looked like new. Still no spark to the top cylinder. Finally switched out the points and problem was solved.

OldJohnson6hp

Seaman

Will try points and plug wire..gotta be it..nothing else can be wrong.

No kill switch, and compression is good (checked with comp tester). Ok I'll try the points and wires and report back. Thanks all for the help..keep 'em coming if anyone can think of anything else..and I'll report back

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

That is an odd one. I have the same engine (in parts waiting for rings). Please let us know when you solve it.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Another thiing you might try, is the connector in the spark plug boot. Those often arc out and get rusty.:D

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if you used the put together coils, check your connections. i now strip back the wire on the boot end and wrap it around the spring. also pin in coil, has to be center of the plug wire.

rjezuit

Chief Petty Officer

My bet is on wires. I have found them to be the most finicky part. Rick

OldJohnson6hp

Seaman

and the winner is....

bktheking! It was one of the points! The bad one was as shiny & clean as when it first came out of the box ( 2 !#@% MONTHS AGO) Swapped a point out of the 6 and away I went. Winner of "Good Idea Award" Tasha.. "I now strip back the wire on the boot end and wrap it around the spring" I will start doing that as well. Great tip! Always wondered if it maintained a good connection after cramming it into the boot..

Thanks to all for the responses! Much appreciated! :):)

A follow up question for you guys.. What would (make) or how would (do) points just go bad when they are that new? They haven't a smidge or mark on them! What makes them just "go out"? Don't quite understand the total theory of operation..

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Thanks to all for the responses! Much appreciated! :):)

A follow up question for you guys.. What would (make) or how would (do) points just go bad when they are that new? They haven't a smidge or mark on them! What makes them just "go out"? Don't quite understand the total theory of operation..

From my experience, the chances of a "hardware" fault...i.e. the points being DOA, are infitesimal compared to the likelihood of a "liveware" fault.
It is really easy to make a simple mistake when connecting the wires, and very difficult to pick up after the fact.

I would put some $$$...and offer odds...and Im not a betting man....that if you reinstalled the points that were not working, the problem would be solved; and you would probably never know what had gone wrong the first time...:)

The same scenario happened to me years ago and I was set to take the points back to the NAPA store. My father who has forgotten more about engines than I'll ever learn said "save yourself the trip...put them back in....but properly this time"
I saved the trip (and the points) but have no idea exactly what I had done wrong, other than an obvious wiring glitch.

OldJohnson6hp

Seaman

The motor went from flawless to dead..they were not in wrong. Also when I switched them around the 1 still wouldn't work! It is dead. So again, What would cause or how would a point die?

rjezuit

Chief Petty Officer

Oil or carbon on the faces, or manufacturing error?? Rick

soundchaser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've had problems with cheaply made chinese points. Seems the rivets that actually hold the contact can be defective. I had one that actually came loose and was making an intermittent connection after a couple weeks of running.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

****!! don't buy Chinese made. Buy OMC brand only:D

rjezuit

Chief Petty Officer

Do you think OMC brand is made in the USA? I doubt it. But Chinese stuff is usually JUNK Rick

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

well, I would just read on the box and see, but I believe they are. Nothing else, you would be supporting the manufacturer name.:D