Need help choosoing bindings

JasonB

Lieutenant
I bought a nice CWB Wakeboard for friend and family to use, now it need to find some bindings.

No one is likely to be super aggressive with it as none of us have ridden a wakeboard before. I'll probably be the hardest on them. Most will be happy to ride straight lines, but i would like to learn some basic jumps (no inverts, I'm too old for that). Fitting a range of shoe sizes is important and I want them to be reasonably durable and I have no issues if I need to buy better ones for my use later if I can learn to ride. Cost is as always an issue.

Some I have looked at:

Airhead Vise-$60
Airhead Clutch-$85
'08 Obrien Device-$50
'09 Obrien Device-$60
'08 Hyperlite Remix-$80

Its hard to find reviews on the lower cost stuff. Anyone have experience with any of these?

sebber83

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Need help choosoing bindings

Hyperlite open toe designs are pretty good, nothing beats a good closed toe boot but would be an issue if you share the board, look into Hyperlite, Ronix, CWB and J-star, cant go wrong with those!

Dave.Mishchenko

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We started this year with a board from Costco with similar bindings to the Airhead/Obrien models you've listed. It was a one size fits all. If you look at the specs on the below link you'll find that the Obrien bindings range from size 4 - 10, so if any of your riders have a larger foot size then they won't have a pleasant experience. I don't know the size range for the board we had, but I could only last about 10 minutes in them before my feet gave up.

http://www.wakeworld.com/boots/getcompany.asp?companyid=3

The board we started with was also 135 cm, which I found a bit short for myself (I'm 220 lbs). Over the summer and fall I ended up replacing the Costco board with 3, one appropriate for myself (144 cm), my wife and the 3rd for the kids. That may not be what you want to hear, but if you plan to have a wide range of riders weight wise, then a single board might not do. Likewise, I would avoid a one size fits all binding. With the Hyperlite model you'll at least be able to pick a size range and while it may be a bit limiting, you'll at least know how large of a foot size you can support.

I would also check that the bindings will fit properly with the board. I can't speak to what CWB has been doing with the binding plate widths, but with Liquid Force they've decreased from from 8 inches to 7 and then to 6 over a few years so you just need to make sure the bindings will be OK with the board. I have a 6 inch binding with 7 inch spaces board and it works fine (I just have a few less mounting options).

JasonB

Lieutenant

Thanks Guys.

The new board is a 144 (I'm about 220 myself) and I also have an older 135 board with sandal bindings I'm going to keep for the kids and maybe Wife if she decides to try it. I found some "ok" basic lace up boot style bindings I will probably get for the 135 as I'm nota fan of the sandals.

I want a decent set for the 144 for me and other larger guys to ride. I really like the Hyperlite Remixes.