88 Special carb adjustment?

surrender

Petty Officer 1st Class
Getting ready to clean carbs with new carb kits. After re assemble are their any adjustments you need to make like turning low or high speeds so many turns closed or open. From my research so far these carbs look like the plugs cover the jets so no adjustment is done. Just get everything clean and reinstalled with a new float if needed(kits dont come with floats)Any help?

surrender

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 88 Special carb adjustment?

I think i figured it out. If ,and thats a big if, I am going to remove jets to clean I have to turn them in till stop and just count turns then when I put back in just turn all the way in and back out the above referenced number of turns. Then re install plugs and the like. If that sound right just let me know.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Haven t checked but if there are no adjusting screws then theres no adjustment to make .
If there are go to the "Engine Frequently asked Questions" board and find Joe Reeves' instructions for adjusting carb needles.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

You have not told us the year so cannot check.

Sounds like fixed jets from your description. They screw right in and the plug goes in after them.

You'd see the adjusting screws if there were any ... they would be quite obvious

surrender

Petty Officer 1st Class

Engine is a 1996. Yeah I kind of thought they were not adjustable but I'll keep looking. My kits should be in next week. Thanks. Anymore advise would be great.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

your motor has plastic floats, just clean them and reinstall. you have fixed jets no adjustments. the 88 has 2 high speed and 2 low speed jets on each carb. basically they are 2 barrel carbs. top carb is for top cylinders, bottom - bottom

surrender

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks all. Think all should go well. Going to do a link and sync afterward. Any tips on that?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

try running it before linc n sync, if you do not adjust the linkage, it might be correct as it is.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

the 88 has 2 high speed and 2 low speed jets on each carb. basically they are 2 barrel carbs.

The cross-flow 88hp with its 2 bbl. carbs also has midrange fixed jets that most people do not know about, but they really affect acceleration if they are plugged up. They are located inside the float bowl just above the main jets.