Eska 15hp cooling question

griggsb

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have an Eska 15hp 1982. I had to make a water cover gasket for it (I cleaned out all debris from water jackets) , and then I got it running. Like the manual said, it took about 30 seconds to spit water. It got very warm (as the manual said). Powerhead temp was about 105 when I shut it down. I didn't want to overheat. Pump didn't seem to pump good at low idle. It shot a descent stream at start position. Didn't look solid like the Gamefisher (Eska) 15hp I seen on youtube video. Thermostat has been removed (yes the manual listed a stat for some Eska's). Impeller was changed a year ago by previous owner. Any ideas? I only ran it for about 3 or 4 minutes, and it seemed to get warm fast. I did backflush tell tale (with 10 - 15 psi of air). It bubbled my tank water (when I plugged exhaust ports). Re-tested, and the same results. My Ted Williams (Eska) 9.9 with weak pump I could run for 10 minutes, and I could easily touch powerhead. The 15hp seemed to get too warm to quickly. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. Sorry for the novel LOL.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Eska 15hp cooling question

105 F isn't much.105 C is like 240 real serious trouble. Normal head temp would be too hot to hold your hand on but not so hot it burns you.Was the pump well submerged.Sometimes tank testing will be misleading as far as water circulation.
You might check the water tube,and intake sometimes mud daubers and other insects like to build there.

"G"

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds like a "the thermo is in backwards" problem. Will it work fine without a thermostat? Is the pee circuit open (not clogged up with sand/debris)?

Possibly the pump tube missed the pump housing and got partially plugged on the rubber grommet when putting it all together. That's a possibility on the powerhead end too.

143F is what outboard motor thermostats are set for I think but you should be able to hold your hand on the motor for at least 5-10 seconds. The key is it's got to be peeing a reasonable stream of water not steam.

I'd also verify the new water pump but further investigate the pump housing/parts for wear etc. Did the impeller key get kicked out when they put the impeller on the Drive shaft? Look for too much wear at the top bottom and sides of the WP impeller. Too much and you're sucking air instead of pumping water.

While that lower end is off hook a garden hose to the water pick up tube and see how much water runs through the engine with that. Check it out when running on the hose; how hot will it get then?

Reversing the flow of water is sometimes needed to get the blockage out. Could be a piece of impeller or ??? got stuck up there.

Clues enough? Hope it helps.

Good luck!

griggsb

Petty Officer 3rd Class

105 F isn't much.105 C is like 240 real serious trouble. Normal head temp would be too hot to hold your hand on but not so hot it burns you.Was the pump well submerged.Sometimes tank testing will be misleading as far as water circulation.
You might check the water tube,and intake sometimes mud daubers and other insects like to build there.

Thanks for reply. Completly submerged in 55gal barrell. I tried it again, and it consistantly ran about 120. It just confuses me that at a low idle (in gear), no water comes out. I have to raise throttle to regain tell tale stream. What if powerhead gasket was tore/blown? Could I loose pressure at idle? I blew out all ports, intake, and tell tale again. Stream still dont look real strong. It seems to pulse slightly at start speed.

griggsb

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sounds like a "the thermo is in backwards" problem. Will it work fine without a thermostat? Is the pee circuit open (not clogged up with sand/debris)?

Possibly the pump tube missed the pump housing and got partially plugged on the rubber grommet when putting it all together. That's a possibility on the powerhead end too.

143F is what outboard motor thermostats are set for I think but you should be able to hold your hand on the motor for at least 5-10 seconds. The key is it's got to be peeing a reasonable stream of water not steam.

I'd also verify the new water pump but further investigate the pump housing/parts for wear etc. Did the impeller key get kicked out when they put the impeller on the Drive shaft? Look for too much wear at the top bottom and sides of the WP impeller. Too much and you're sucking air instead of pumping water.

While that lower end is off hook a garden hose to the water pick up tube and see how much water runs through the engine with that. Check it out when running on the hose; how hot will it get then?

Reversing the flow of water is sometimes needed to get the blockage out. Could be a piece of impeller or ??? got stuck up there.

Clues enough? Hope it helps.

Good luck!

Thermostat is not in (it was missing when I pulled cover to change gasket. I know I made gasket correctly. I matched it to the old one. I blew out debris out of water jacket before installing cover. Also when I idle at slow speed (with no water coming out), smoke only comes out of tell tale. Could powerhead gasket be blown? It seemed to get excessive sludge in test tank for no longer than I ran. I work on OMC, and Merc outboards on the side (small stuff), but the Eska's are new to me.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

A 15hp Eska, huh? The biggest I ever saw was a 5 or 6hp. Do you by chance have pics of this things. This I gotta see.:cool:

griggsb

Petty Officer 3rd Class

[/IMG]
A 15hp Eska, huh? The biggest I ever saw was a 5 or 6hp. Do you by chance have pics of this things. This I gotta see.:cool:
I am having troubles uploading pics. I could email if you pm me. Still can't figure it out. The 9.9 looks identical to the 15. Not too many around from what i've seen. Think i've got it fixed. Now has a strong, constant stream at any speed. It had a bad o ring at housing.

Last edited:

abukheit

Recruit

Hi guys, My name is Abi and I,m new to this site. I need someone help in identifying an engine that I bought from a crook. I beleive is an Eska but not sure of the Hp and what year. I checked to see if there is a s/n or a model number but non what so ever. Now I'm stack with this junk that I paid $200.00 for it. How ever I would to fix it but until I have a model no,Hp and the year I can't get parts for it. I have some pictures but not sure how to attach to this thread.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

You should really start your own post.
You have to go to a picture hosting site.Unfortunately I don't knpow the procedure.I think there is a stickie at the top of one of the forums.Sometimes the number plate is on the outside of the mounting bracket
In the mean time a description would help.The Eska uses a Tecumseh air cooled powerhead. numbers like V51 V58,AV520 AV520 etc.One early 5 Eska used a Clinton power head.Is it air cooled?(look for fins on the flywheel and on the cylinder.Check for a shroud around the flywheel and cylinder to route the cooling air.How many cylinders?Spark plug number?Brand or model of the carb?Color?Metal or fiberglass cover?