Looking for a bowrider

Rwebber77

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi all,

I am very new to this forum (just signed up) and did so because I am currently restoring a '65 Thompson Thomboy and am looking for a bowrider to enjoy. Does anyone know what engines, brands, etc. that I should stay away from? I am not going over my 5k limit and am not concerned about fuel economy(would like a v8).

Thanks,
Ryan

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Looking for a bowrider

OMC inboard-outboards. they are no longer supported.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I agree, OMC stuff is junk. If you are looking for a I/O look for something with a Volvo outdrive. Also volvo motor's, chev motor's and mercrusier motor's are all good.

If you get one setup for outboard, I would really look for one with a mercury outboard. those things are pretty bullet proof.

That is just my opinion though.

Rwebber77

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I never knew that about OMC, so thank you both. I have narrowed my search down somewhat to two very different boats. One is a Donzi 18' with the 4.3 merc and the other is a Sea Ray 20' with the 5.0 merc. Do you guys have any insight on whether these are priced right or if I should run the other way? I would like to have a v8, but the Donzi is just so clean!

Donzi

Sea Ray

The Sea Ray needs a little upholstery work but if the price is right I have a friend who can do it pretty inexpensively.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That aluminum trailer the Donzi is sitting on does add a good bit of value. I think both boats appear to be in pretty good shape considering their age. I think both are appropriately powered for their size. I would check each VERY carefully for rot as they've both seen some weather. The lounge seats on the Donzi don't appear to be original.

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

If both boats are mechanically and structurally the same I would take the Sea Ray. Bigger boat, more motor and cheaper, if you have a line on a good upholstery person than even better. Both are good brands but with boats this old brand doesn't mean as much as how it was maintained. Check both for Rot, the carpet in the donzi looks new, that could mean a whole new floor, stringers and transom was replaced and new carpet installed, or they could have screwed a sheet of plywood to the rotten hull and slapped some carpet down to cover it up. Check both extensively for rot though.

jkust

Rear Admiral

I like that Donzi a lot more than the SR. The SR just looks beat and potentially a project. 5k for an 88 however is just way over the top IMO. Donzi here in Minnesota is practically non existant in fact I don't ever recall seeing one so someone from Florida might have a better take on the price. I do know that 5k could get you a nice Bowrider with at least a 4.3 ten years newer.

Rwebber77

Petty Officer 3rd Class

5k for an 88 however is just way over the top IMO.

That's exactly what I thought as well. I checked NADA and it retails for just over $3k. Maybe I should point out what its worth and if they want the payment they will accept, if not I continue my search.

paulspaddle

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ummm, your price limit is 5K, but the Florida boat is a few days drive round trip and at least $300 in fuel...for starters.

Fresh water / salt water?

Know yourself and your ability to 'take a risk' buying sight unseen. Many guys here will take a strip off you for doing so, but do as you feel are comfortable. As in you can't sing the song of regret afterwards.

Lots of boats in your area...unless your stuck on the boat and you have to have it right away....stay patient and keep looking. Lakes are kind of hard at the moment anyway.

There's new deal everyday!

The OMC advise is sound...you'll see some tempting deals with these motors.

Rwebber77

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well, I just got off the phone with the mechanic that services the Donzi and he had all kinds of red flags for me. The only green flag is that it was fresh water only. The boat did get a replacement floor, carpet, and seats due to extreme weather as he put it. He also said the new carpet is too thin so it's tearing in quite a few areas. Now for the real kicker...he said there is a pretty big soft spot on the starboard side and also the trailer needs all new bunks because they are rotten.

Luckily they are only asking $2k over book!

scbackpacker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Take your time. Don't be in a hurry to make a purchase without first checking the boat out and getting it in the water. I kept looking and looking for a boat last year. My co-workers would say that I wasn't going to buy a boat I just wanted to aggravate people. When I did buy the Monterey I have now I guess I did aggravate the seller but I wasn't going to put money in something that I had to work on. It's a 1995 Monterey 196 Montura 4.3 liter with a 135 hrs on it for a little more money than what you're planning on spending. Take the advice of the guys here. They will not lead you wrong. Plus and it's just me I wouldn't pay over the NADA value for anything unless it was very very special.