Planning a new trip need suggestions

Godfirst

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi from southern cal, looking to travel to some new destinations soon within reason for new boating looking at right now lake meade, lake powell, lake shasta and portions of the colorado river. what lakes do people reccomend and why this would be greatly appreciated.

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Planning a new trip need suggestions

Well that's a great list and I've boated on all of them. I see a 24ft. cruiser in your profile, is that what we are talking about? Would be good on the lakes, but most sections of the Colorado river itself are too small for that boat. Parker is a maybe. You should also consider Havasu and Mohave, they all have their pluses and minuses . . .

Mead is a very temperamental lake, it can be the best and it can get really nasty too. I love it there, but you should do some searching here to learn more about it and also study up on the launch conditions.

Powell and Shasta are more predictable as the basins are smaller, especially Shasta. Both are a serious tow from here although the ride to Shasta is flat once you get out of LA.

Godfirst

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yea thanks, I have a 24 crusier cuddy has the merc 5.7 and the alpha 1 sterndrive just had it rebuilt and trying a new prop. What would you say the best times for powell and were to camp will camp in the boat sometimes and where are the best areas to launch.
Thanks

fishrdan

Admiral

Be aware Powell has launching restrictions due to the quagga mussel problems at other lakes. As long as you are aware of the restrictions I don't think it's going to be an issue, but I wouldn't expect to pull up there at 5am and dunk the boat.

If you are interested in Powell, post up a thread as there are a couple members that boat there often.