Visiting Channel Islands off California Coast

df909

Petty Officer 1st Class
Has anyone been camping or hiking to any of the Channel Islands? I'm planning on making a trip to Catalina and I'd like to visit the islands off Santa Barbara.

Other than Catalina, are there places to moor a runabout for a day or two? How did you like/dislike where the island you went to? Any recommendations to make it a fun family outing? Thanks.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
Re: Visiting Channel Islands off California Coast

Oh I miss my SoCal....
Catalina of course I am sure you know is very boat friendly..Both at Avalon & Twin Harbor..

I have only fished the Channel Islands..Never camped there..I always admired the view of the C.I. group..Pretty rugged with no facilities..

Maybe this will help

http://www.nps.gov/chis/planyourvisit/things2do.htm

What size boat do you have? A runabout sounds a wee bit small for the run from Catalina to the Channel Islands..Maybe too small for catalina?

Be safe and have fun

df909

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 20' with a 4.3L Alpha 1. I've met several people that have made the run from Long Beach to Catalina on smaller boats than mine. I know a guy from a local boat store that puts together groups to cruise out to the island for a day or so.

I saw the NPS website and went through it, but was wondering about people's first hand experiences. Want to know what to realistically expect. Funny that you miss So Cal, we can't wait to get out of here. I'd love to cruise around Florida for a while and check out the water out there.

pmillar

Petty Officer 1st Class

I too miss socal (especially this time of year) If you're thinking camping the twin harbor end of Catalina is the way to go compared to Avalon. I enjoyed some decent snorkling out there there too. You should be able to get some info about mountain biking/hiking/camping on-line. It's been many years now but I really enjoyed the twin harbor area (pretty laid back) vs. Avalon (relatively commercial and touristy)