SX Drive shift cable issue - clunk ...help !!

intrepidvoyager

Petty Officer 1st Class
After reinstalling the drive on my buddies boat (3.0 with 2002 SX) I noticed while setting up the shift cable adjustment that the throw - the max travel distance of the inner cable that the linkage cube screws onto was not long enough to shift completely from forward to reverse .....i could adjust the cable by screwing the cube back and forth to either go right into the forward detent or go right into the reverse detent but not both......the conclusion from this is that there is not enough throw on the cable for it to move the detent shift lever on the back of the gear case from say completely in the reverse detent to completely in the forward detent.

In trying to sort out this issue i noticed that the shift cable is way to long for the boat and that there are 3 .18? diameter loops in the cable before it gets to the leg. This and the fact the cable is ten years old may account for too much slop in the cable core resulting in not enough travel at the leg.

There appears to be no way to correct this problem at the shift control at the helm so I think the its cable replacement time ?????

Also noticed while setting up the adjustment that there is a slight clunk going into forward gear with the engine at 900 rpm .......this clunk is hardly noticeable when the boat is in the water . There is no clunk at all going into reverse .

There were a bunch of locals down at the boat ramp one of whom had an SX drive and said don?t worry about it they all clunk after a few years usage ........I do not think is right as this is a cone clutch set up and going into reverse is silent ?????????

I think what has happened is that over time with the cable, not allowing proper engagement, that some excessive wear has occurred and the unit needs to be re-shimmed ???????

We changed the leg oil ...which had not been changed for 500 hours !!!! apart from it being discolored (dark) there were no traces of metal, etc particles in the old oil.

I would appreciate confirmation that I am on the right track and that re-shimming might be in order.

First thing i think is to replace the cable so that it will push the shift lever into both forward and reverse detents.

If that does not cure the clunk then go for the shim job.

Also would like to know if its necessary to pull the gear box apart or can the issue be addressed by proper shimming of the bearing under the top cover of the gear case.

I am now 2000 miles away from the boat and anyway do not have the tools necessary to accurately shim ......hold on I think I?ll get them and hop a flight back to Kauai ...its now pouring freezing rain here !!! ;)

I would like to be able to tell my friend there what he should do ...he will have to take it to the local VP guy ....but would be nice to know what?s involved .

Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: SX Drive shift cable issue - clunk ...help !!

Yea, you need a new cable. With that many loops, they wear a groove in the outside of the loops and cause a lot of extra movement.

Also noticed while setting up the adjustment that there is a slight clunk going into forward gear with the engine at 900 rpm .......

No wonder it clunks, get the idle down to 650-700 where is should be and that clunking will stop. It will also stop dieseling when he shuts it off.

intrepidvoyager

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Don ...ya that was stupid of me ...shoulda waited till it settled down after warm up ....and will replace cable for sure PRONTO !

zbnutcase

Commander

And shimming is used only to obtain proper gear tooth contact, not for shifting. 'nutcase

Don S

And shimming is used only to obtain proper gear tooth contact, not for shifting. 'nutcase

You might want to read up on Volvo's a bit more, there are shimming requierments that are for shifting only.

intrepidvoyager

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK ......Dale is ordering up a new right length shift cable ....and MOST importantly reducing the idle rpms to 650 ..... I'll post the results in a few days.

Built lots of engines but have never pulled one of these SX boxes apart ...so what is actually causing the clunking noise ? Clutch grab due to engagement at too high a speed ????? :confused:

Thanks

Don S

Clutch grab due to engagement at too high a speed ?????

Yes