New Motor

goakley86

Cadet
Well, I recently inherited a 1986 Bayliner Capri from my mother-in law for christmas. It has a Volvo 225E V8 Inboard motor, with a Volvo Penta 275 Stern drive. The motor was not properly winterized, and now the block is cracked. Since it was given to me, I dont have a problem spending a little money replacing the motor. Can I put a chevy 350 in it, or do I need to go back with a Volvo. Also, does anyone know any good websites to get a motor from. Thanks:)

Bondo

Staff member
Re: New Motor

Can I put a chevy 350 in it,

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... Chevy is what's there now, I believe...

Rapido marine motors comes highly reccommended for Reman motors....

Before you pull the trigger on a replacement motor,..
Make sure the Hull is worthy of the investment...
Rotten stringers,+ transom will ruin a good plan...

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... Chevy is what's there now, I believe...

Rapido marine motors comes highly reccommended for Reman motors....

Before you pull the trigger on a replacement motor,..
Make sure the Hull is worthy of the investment...
Rotten stringers,+ transom will ruin a good plan...

Agree with Bond-o,See if the boat is rotted before buying a new engine..

Find out if your old engine is the one or two piece rear main seal then call Rapid-O,They will fix you up..
I think it was about 86 when they switched rear main seals to the one piece.

Post your engine serial and one of the guys will tell ya.

Here is the website for Rapid-O,
http://www.rapidomarine.com/default.aspx?p=/engines/default.aspx

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You now have a 305 engine, but you can change it to a 350 without changing anything else on the engine. The bad part is, there is no way of telling if you have a 1 piece or 2 piece rear main. About the only thing you can do is look. If you have a 12" flywheel, you will have to stick with that, as the 14" flywheel will not fit under the flywheel cover, and you really don't want to replace that.
Also check your distributor, it could be points or electronic. Hard to say at this point without serial numbers, even with them, Volvo didn't really keep good records on Chevy engines back then.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

How are the valve cover bolts on your engine? Are there 4 of them in the corners or are there 4 of them down the middle? The valve covers changed with the rear main seals. On that Bayliner, be sure to check where the motor mounts are bolted to the boat. I have seen a few of them rotted out...

goakley86

Cadet

I appreiciate all of your imputs. Im new to the boating world, and not shure about the motors. I havent got to look at the motor mounts yet, we just recieved a blizzard christmas eve, and its been to muddy to get out to it. but I will definately check that out. I do know the interior needs replaced. I just figured, I didnt pay anything for the boat, I wouldnt mind spending a couple of thousand dollars to have a good running, and good looking boat.

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I do know the interior needs replaced. I just figured, I didnt pay anything for the boat, I wouldnt mind spending a couple of thousand dollars to have a good running, and good looking boat.

Thats an optomistic number if it has a bad motor and interior i would suspect rot in the floor and stringers and transom and.......
sometimes a free boat is the most expensive boat you will ever own

goakley86

Cadet

I appreciate all the reviews, but I have one more question. What is the difference in a marine GM 350, and a regular 350?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I appreciate all the reviews, but I have one more question. What is the difference in a marine GM 350, and a regular 350?
If you are referring to just the long block, then basically you have a marine (RV or truck cam is similar) brass core plugs and non steel type head gaskets.
When you start adding on things like intakes, carbs, fuel pumps, distributors, alternators, starters and exhaust systems and a few other items, then things turn marine quickly. Mostly for safety/fire/explosion reasons, some for running issues.

goakley86

Cadet

So, I can put a 350 out of "a pickup" in my boat, as long as everything else is marin. I know I might sound stupid, but thats because I am when it comes to boats. I though I read that the cranks are different in marine motors, than in a regular 350. This is probley the best website I have been on yet. You all really answer my questions. Thanks:)

goakley86

Cadet

Alpehus, to answer your question, the valve cover bolts are four, down the middle. Is that a two piece rear main, or one?

goakley86

Cadet

Thanks. Can anyone tell me where I can find a Volvo Penta 225E rebuilt motor. Im not having any luck on the web so far.