Force 125 engine mount/bracket

Lt.Mike

Recruit
I have an '88 Force 125 the has a split bracket or mount on the left side of the trim tilt unit. THe trim unit is fine but the bracket had split many years ago. I bought it alot of time by drilling it it and through bolting it with fender washers pinching the split closed. Well it finally corroded through.
All I need is that left bracket but has proven difficult to find.
it is the type that is bolted through the transome with two bolts. While this bracket has many boly holes to use, I think five it is the upper two that typically split down the middle of the bracket and this seems to be a common problem.
Anyone have one they don't need and would care to part with?
My daughter is missing the boat greatly and I'd like to get one more season out of it before she leaves home for college. :(
Mike.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: Force 125 engine mount/bracket

Only place that I've seen such a bracket is on E-Bay. Sometimes I see just the bracket, and sometimes it's the whole unit with tilt/trim.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

This is a common problem, especially with salt water use. The stainless bolts pass through the bracket about 3 inches and when any water gets in there--and it always does--a galvanic reaction is set up between the dissimilar stainless and aluminum metals. Since aluminum corrosiion (aluminum oxide, Al2O3) is greater than the volume of mass aluminum metal, pressure around the bolt splits the clamp.

For this reason, when a thru-bolt clamp fails, I replace it with the older Chrysler clamp-on style.

In any case, you will need to dismount the engine; it will not be easy to remove the clamp with the engine mounted on the boat.

NOW: Even if you do find the clamp, you are most likely in for a NASTY job. When the clamp is split like that, all the other bolts are going to be corroded as well. Removing that clamp from the tilt/trim assembly will most likely be extremely difficult and may even necessitate cutting the clamp and the lower mount bar for the tilt/trim. You may even find it necessary to destroy the tilt/trim cylinder. Consider yourself extremely lucky if you are able to disassemble the clamp from the tilt/trim.

If you do find a thru-bolt clamp and are able to remove the split one, very thoroughly coat the full length of the mounting bolts and inside of the bolt holes with silicone RTV sealer to hopefully slow down splitting the second time.

If you do find a tilt/trim assembly with clamps on ebay for a reasonable price, I would recommend buying it and changing the whole smash.

Lt.Mike

Recruit

This is a common problem, especially with salt water use.
For this reason, when a thru-bolt clamp fails, I replace it with the older Chrysler clamp-on style.
[/I]

I didn't think I could do that, switch to the clamp style.

In any case, you will need to dismount the engine; it will not be easy to remove the clamp with the engine mounted on the boat.

I had to replace a seized steering tube once, that was no picnic either.:rolleyes: I have an engine hoist built into my barn rafters to help some.

If you do find a tilt/trim assembly with clamps on ebay for a reasonable price, I would recommend buying it and changing the whole smash.

Unfortunately the old saying " if its for a boat...paint it blue and charge twice the price" even applies to those selling on Ebay. I was hoping to just buy what I needed, being the bracket but with what you've said about damaging the trim unit in removing it...well I got the point. Guess I'm in for eating a $400 bill again. Thanks for your advice though, it is appreciated.
Mike.

RRitt

Captain

I probably have your part and don't really want anything for it if I do. Naturally, I'm not going to pay postage to ship you something that I can throw away for free. However, I'm not dsure the bracket is going to do you nay good. They split because of galvanic corrosion. By the time the bracket splits it often has so much ALOX built up that you can't get old brackets off. You better check that out before starting anything.