74 Challenger complete restoration

comala57

Recruit
I just picked up a Mark IV 15 ft bass boat with a 35hp mercury. The only thing worth a darn is the motor cranks right up and purrs. So instead of just looking for a boat that is in working order I have decided I have more time than money and am going to take on the beast of making this relec sparkle again.

So I have spent the last three days removing the top from the hull, I gues the older boats were two peices snap rivetted together. Then removing stringers and transom. I have it down to the complete bottom and all areas smoothed down with a chizel. This wasn't that hard given almost every peice of wood was completly rotted and fiberglass was brittle. Now I am cutting the plywood for the transom, stringers and the walking area.
Steps I plan to take
1 add another layer of fiberglass to the entire inside of the hull
2 new stringers, transom and walking areas
3 fiberglass all exposed wood to seal them in
4 gel coat for the bottom
Since I have till Jan 3rd before work on monday I should be able to get the hull done and ready to put the top back on. If I have the time I would like to add a gel coat to the bottom. Even though there are very minor scratches I think this is a smart idea.
The problem I have is the lack of knowlege working with gel coat type paints.
I went to the local marine paint shop in hopes they would stear me in the right direction. What they sold me was, Interior white gel coat with wax.
Most of what I read is that I need a hardening agent with most marine products which wasn't provided. I called the paint store to ask them and they are closed for the holidays as well. Please help! Thanks guys, gals. Cam

comala57

Recruit
Re: 74 Challenger complete restoration

I will be loading progression pictures in the short days to come. I have the transom replaced and fiberglassed. I never knew fiberglass would be hard to work with. The matting is very hard to mold in corners and on small areas. I hope I got a good seal.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 74 Challenger complete restoration

I will be loading progression pictures in the short days to come.

Ayuh,... Cool,... We just Love pictures....;)