83 Johnson 15 HP No telltale

dmgolub

Recruit
I have and use an 83 Johnson 15HP short shaft. The telltale quit pumping out water over a year ago. The engine doesn't overheat, ever. It just runs and runs. How can that be, without water running through the head? Is the water exiting some other way? This engine starts on the first pull, every time. Ideas??

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: 83 Johnson 15 HP No telltale

I would check and make sure that the tell tale isn't just plugged up. This happens a lot. If you disconnect the hose from fitting, at the bottom shroud, you'll be able to tell if anything is stuck in there.:cool:

kbait

Commander

Most of the water doesn't exit through the telltale. If you have a mist of water out the exhaust port in back when engine is warm, it's cooling. Poke a thin wire in the telltale end fitting and you'll probably clear it. If not, remove the hose entirely and check for blockage. Good luck!!

dmgolub

Recruit

Thanks. I will do that this weekend. I'm in south Florida, so I use my boat almost every weekend. I'm real satisfied with my Johnson outboard. I bought it brand new in 1983, and my maintenance expense has been nearly ZERO.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Thanks. I will do that this weekend. I'm in south Florida, so I use my boat almost every weekend. I'm real satisfied with my Johnson outboard. I bought it brand new in 1983, and my maintenance expense has been nearly ZERO.

Please tell me it's at least the cost of an impeller or 2 and gear oil!

dmgolub

Recruit

I do all the simple maintenance (impellers, plugs, gear case oil change, etc) myself. One time I ran aground, and bent the skeg to a 90 degree angle, and had to take it to a mechanic to bend it back to the way it was. About $100, but that has been the extent of cost of ownership. I really don't know if I trust myself enough to remove the powerhead, to try to replace the top part connected to the watertube.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Remove the lower unit. Powerhead is a piece of cake, 3 bolts up top, 6 under the lower cowl. Disconnect electronics, remove pull start, remove shift center bolt for shift detent, cotter pin for throttle, disconnect fuel lines.Pull the powerhead straight up, 4 bolts hold exhaust tube on, remove tube and replace the water grommet. Seriously it's a 1 hour job or less start to finish. Replace the powerhead to base gasket too.