stick steering

fisherman912

Cadet
I have a 14' aluminum boat , 25 hp with stick steering. Previous owner had the steering controls moved back about 3' on both sides to allow room for a step up, standing platform to be installed in front of the boat in addition to the seat bench. The set up is very neat, but the steering cable seems to be binding. My question is : Is it possible to shorten the steering cable or will it have to be replaced by a new, shorter one ?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: stick steering

try removing the cable at the motor and cleaning the tilt tube, reinstall and no sharp bends. if this does not improve it, get the correct length cable. i have had 3 boats with stick steering. loved them.

jbjennings

Captain

What kind of stick steering is it? Is it a true cable/pulley system (old style) or the cable inside the tube setup? If it's a true cable and pulley system, it'd be no problem to shorten it, but new cable time with the cable inside of the tube. I'm suprised your shifter cables aren't binding, too.
I like my stick steering as well.
JMO,
JBJ

fisherman912

Cadet

Thank you both for sharing your info and experience. This is the first stick steer I've owned, my other boat is a console steer. I was just out there looking at it and I will remove the cable and clean the tube and shaft first to see if that helps any. If not, I will try to order a shorter cable from EZ Glide dealer. Thanks again for your help.

aspeck

Staff member

I liked my stick steering UNTIL I put a 55hp motor on it ... too much torque ... kept breaking the steering box ... no fun at WOT! :eek: Keep a 40hp or lower engine and you will have GREAT luck with it, and it won't take long to get used to it.

I agree with what the others said about the length and binding. Good luck.