Suggestions to break wind on my boat?

hokiepoq

Seaman
I've just about resigned myself to the fact that I will be using my center console for a while. My challenge is that I would like to make the boat at least a 3-seasons boat. The boat is 21ft and does not have a hardtop nor softtop. I don't want to sink a lot of money into this because it's a 1988 hull and not flawless by any means. Any creative suggestions on how to provide any kind if wind-breakage so that running 30mph out to the CBBT doesn't freeze everyone out? I have a bimini, but don't think that's sturdy enough to hold some kind of enclosure. Thought about a PVC rig with plexiglass but am afraid of looking like the Beverly Hillbillies of the water. Suggestions? Here is a picture of the boat taken standing up front..

Attachments

• boatlayout.JPG
    boatlayout.JPG
    136.2 KB · Views: 0

Capt'n Chris

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Suggestions to break wind on my boat?

A well built dodger would look mighty nice.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Breaking wind on an open boat of that size is no problem--you just lift one leg and let 'er rip! Helps if you have eaten broccoli, brussel sprouts or milk (if you are lactose intolerant).

Sorry! I just could not "pass" on this one LOL

BTMCB

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Sorry, have no ideas to help you out. Sure others will chime in. Have to admit, wasn't quite sure about your question at first glance looking at the topic!! Tells you where my mind is!

Bronc Rider

Petty Officer 1st Class

Beans! Lots of beans, you will be breaking wind in no time in the boat and off of it.
Just kidding.

I have seen many boats get a full enclosure made at canvas shops. A hard top can be made out of fiberglass also. Neither one of those will be cheap though. Weight should also be part of your concerns.
I find it hard to believe that you will find something cheap that doesn't look jerry rigged. People around here are really creative so, I will sit back and see what other suggestions you receive.
Good luck.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

get a tarp, tell them to scrunch down close together and cover up.

Bearfan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I do like the idea of getting everyone in an enclosure before breaking wind...you certainly are a devilish sort.

Jeep Man

Commander

Check out Jean's Canvas Tee Tops. Looks like what your looking for.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

Breaking wind on an open boat of that size is no problem--you just lift one leg and let 'er rip! Helps if you have eaten broccoli, brussel sprouts or milk (if you are lactose intolerant).

Sorry! I just could not "pass" on this one LOL

I have found a nice bowl of chili works wonders too :D

hokiepoq

Seaman

I thought the title would at least get people to read the thread

oops!

Supreme Mariner

im actually suprised at the lack of people ruinning with it !.....

however....bob had a good double edged sword going there :)

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

I thought the title would at least get people to read the thread

well , it worked ! ...by the way , I actually named my boat Breaking Wind..... my present boat and her predecessor...I seldom fish off either ,I mostly fart around on the Delaware river with my daughter and our dog...tubing , Penns Landing events near Philly...my neighbor and I were sitting on my first boat one night having a few cans of vitamin BEER, listening to the stereo I had just finished installing ,and I lifted a leg for a good 'stretch' and wala ! she was christened...Breaking Wind....:D

phwrd

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am sure there are many ways to do it right, but my brother is the only person whom can make me want to jump off of my own boat, running wot, without a life jacket....

rbh

Fleet Admiral

What ever you do it will all be based on the wind screen in front of the helm and be built back, its time to put pen to paper and draw out what you want/imagine. :)

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

seriously now.
there are lots of CC's with shelters out on the Bay during the winter. You want something removeable.
The best frame would be a T top. From there you can put front and side curtains or gull wings. A rear cover is probably not necessary.
There are tent-like structures for the bow area, as well as plastic to hang off bimini's, but they don't look very strong and might not hold up to using them while you are running.
You will have to bite the bullet and add the t-top; home made will look home made.
Poke around Tidalfish.com for local suggestions.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

I was thinking boiled cabbage in a canvas enclosure and someone might accuse you of making stink bait in you drawers!!!:eek:

dlngr

Chief Petty Officer

This thread stinks!:D

aspeck

Staff member

I sure thought this thread would bring Rubber Frog out of "retirement"! :D

Definitely some good suggestions here ... beans, broccoli, chili, etc. And don't forget venison!

Seriously, I have a DC, so I have more "structure" to hang on, but the plastic curtains hanging from my Bimini do just fine at top speed. I would think it would not be too hard to drop plastic curtains from your bimini. You might have to add a support or two, but could be done with PVC to not look too bad. A good canvas / top maker should have lots of ideas and if you already have the frame and the bimini, the curtains should not be too expensive to have made.