Honda 90 no reverse

ga shrimper

Recruit
Im wanting to know a little information about my new used motor. I recently replaced the control cable on my motor because i thought the old one was worn out. My motor would not go int reverse even with the cable adjusted all the way out. So i bought a new cable and it had to be almost all the way adjusted out. When i did that the motor would go into reverse on the flusher easily and like it was supposed to. When i took the boat out and put it in the water the reverse went back to grinding so i adjusted it all the way out. then it would go into reverse but if you gave it some throttle it would jump back out. Does anyone know what the next thing to consider to repair would be.

all thumbs

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Honda 90 no reverse

Not sure if you have a tiller or remote. I changed mine on a remote consul and was told by dealer to change both throttle and shifter cables so they match. There is alot of streatch in the old cables to try to match up old and new. This worked for me, and I could tell the difference right away, just slight movement on the new throttle where as on the old one I had to move it quite a bit before response. Hope this helps,
A T

ga shrimper

Recruit

Yeah i know that the throttle cable should be replaced also but it is more of a grinding in the gears problem. Forward and neutral are just fine. I put it in reverse by hand it seems to be harder than shifting to neutral or forward.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

If you are shifting fine on the bench,and it sounds like you are,you will then have to look at the remote control end of this unit.There are adjustment on both ends of that cable and depending on bends and length of run of that cable it can make that adjustment sometimes challenging.

ga shrimper

Recruit

I wish that were all but im adjusted both ends of the cable still doesnt help. I read that the clutch dogs go out between the gears its what pushes it into gear does anyone know if that sounds right.

AGENT 37

Petty Officer 1st Class

Been there.......

Sounds like cable adjustment isn't going to cut it. The corners on those clutch dogs do round out as well as the corners on the opposing gear. Unassertive shifting can lead to a pre-mature failure of the components. A habitual short "snappy" shift style will usually yield more life out of those components. Honda motors don't do well with operators who allow the gears to "grind" when they are slowly shifting in and out of gear.

Lower unit repair may be in order...... Specifically replacing that clutch dog and likely the reverse gear. Sorry.

You might be able to find a cheap used lower unit if you don't want to have yours repaired. (I'd still get yours repaired) I like having a spare. The lower units seem to be the achilles heel of the Honda.

*Note* With the lower unit troubles I've had, I discovered that a lower unit from a 115-130 will work for a 75-90 but they are geared differently and will require a lower pitch prop.

ga shrimper

Recruit

Thats what i thought thanks for the reassurance. but thats how it goes with used boat motors ive bought a 100 of them some work some need help but o well.