Boat model suggestions

Sharust

Cadet
Hi all.. New to forum. Have some boat questions so I'll get to it.

Looking to buy a boat. Have had jet boats and PWCs in the past (younger days). Live in Michigan and want to boat on the great lakes as well as some smaller lakes at times. Wife and I are into visiting lighthouses and we are looking for a boat for that primarily. However, we also have an 18 y.o. girl and 12 y.o. boy who will be going with us many times (although not always).

We have settled into looking at a class of boat many call an "overnighter" or "cuddy cabin". My questions are as follows:

What is the minimum size most would consider for a boat on the great lakes? I am looking at something like a Rinker Captiva 232 but not sure it is the right size. Minumum engine size? Fuel capacity?

How well does one of these overnighters also work as a "sport boat' for the kids (tubing, sking, ect..)?

Any advice will be appreciated.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Boat model suggestions

232 i would want twin 4.3 volvo. or a big v 8 with velvet drive.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

also keep in mind there is no boat size that will make up for poor planning or not watching the weather..... in my younger days (16) I was all around sandusky huron lorain oh etc on lake erie in a 12' alum and 7.5 outboard...... was very dangerous looking back.... was swamped once by about a 40 foot boat... 23' is a good starting size and I believe lakes huron and michigan are alot more forgiving than erie..... I find that I have chronic sbs (shrinking boat syndrome) so the boat I thought was rediculously huge becomes too small in a couple weeks.... first question is how much boat can you afford..... I am hoping for 1 mpg in my 28 footer which will not be easy to swallow..... a 16' with an outboard might get better than 10 mpg... If you (could) laugh at folks like me choking on a $400 gas fill up then I say go bigger. also an enclosed head (bathroom) is very popular with wives and daughters and a pumpout is much nicer to deal with than carrying the portapot to dump it..... If you choose lunch meat for the excursion by price per pound then smaller is easier to fund..

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

A 21-23 ft cuddy cabin boat would probably work well for your needs.

I would, however, suggest that you look at what is called a walk around cuddy....these are pirmarily designed to be used for offshore fishing. They will be much more sea worthy than a typical cuddy. They typicallly don't have all the creature comforts of a typical sport/cuddy type boat. However, the extra seaworthiness is worth it when the lighthouse you are trying to get pictures of is a little further from the inlet than you planned when a storm starts to kick up.

That being said, a sport/cuddy boat will work fine for tubing, skiing, etc. 23' is about as big as you would want to go for that type of activity though.

Sharust

Cadet

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Looking at 21-23 footers, none I see have much more than a port-a-potty. Looks like from what I see you need to go to about a 26 footer to get a more of a pump out style head? Maybe I am not looking at the right models?

I have not really looked at the fishing type of boat. I have never been on one and was not sure how those performed as a sport boat.

Obviously, cost and fuel consumption are something I must consider but I already own a crew cab dually with a big block and a slide in camper so I understand fuel costs..LOL :D Also seems to be a pretty big leap from about 24 foot to about 26 foot in cost. I feel the kids will probably go less and less as the years go by and it will be more of just the wife and I. Do I want to go with a bigger one now and try to scale back in a couple years? I doubt once I have a bigger one, I will want to get a smaller one later .. right Smoke? (sbs)..;)

Spent most of my life as a racer of some sort (go-kart, stock car, drag race, fast street car, jet boats, jet skis, ect..) but am ready to slow down. I am resisting any speed urges that still might be left :rolleyes: but I don't want to go sailing either. I am not looking for a racer but I still don't want something that takes all day to get anywhere. Also, if threatening weather approaches, I would like to feel like I have some chance to get to shore if need be.

I have very good mechanical abilities (master auto technician) but I am at the point in my life I don't want a "fixer-up-er". I would like something between 2-6 years old that is in near new shape but about 1/2 of what it cost new. I will be able to maintain it and make any future repairs as needed myself. From what I have seen so far on the net, it looks like I should be able to achieve something close to this.

You guys have much more boating experience than I do. That is why I am here asking opinions. :D More feedback is welcome.:)

Tommyfmu

Seaman

Sharust, your needs seem to reflect what we were looking for in a boat almost exactly. Full head, overnight/weekend accommodations for 4, some amenities to be comfortable.

I'll add that we still were looking for a boat that drove more like a sports car instead of a 'big boat' sluggish feel, and still be fuel economical.

We settled into a 24 ft Maxum cruiser with a 5.0L single screw which we love. It has a full head, hot/cold water, microwave, alcohol electric, A/C, refrigerator, fore and aft cabins with are roomy, and the cabin is 6'2" or so, so it doesn't have the cuddy cramped feel. In this range there is Searay, Bayliner, and many others.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

hmmm how bout a big boat AND an older 16' outboard..... best of both worlds.... take a buddy fishing for cheap or load up the family..... also don't rule out grandkids in a few years :eek: seems like the thaller a person is the more space they use up (lots of energy and xtra stuff)..... 6'2 ceiling huh... my 28' wellcraft has the same height..... too bad I'm 6'4" dangit ...

Budcruiser

Recruit

check out boat repos you can get a lot of boat for the bucks. I have friends that bout boats from repos last year. got nice boats

grego

Petty Officer 1st Class

can you find a 26ft "with trailer?" You will want a boat with twin, small v-8 engines, for fuel milage. Storms happen! If I had to hide from storm, or ride it out with my family,in big water? I would have a 26 ft or bigger boat , with gen. and head.

Sharust

Cadet

check out boat repos you can get a lot of boat for the bucks. I have friends that bout boats from repos last year. got nice boats

Any suggestions on websites that have repo boats? This is what I am looking for. In this economy, there has to be lots of them out there that are near new and in good shape and the finance company wants rid of them.

paulspaddle

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Sharust, your needs seem to reflect what we were looking for in a boat almost exactly. Full head, overnight/weekend accommodations for 4, some amenities to be comfortable.

I'll add that we still were looking for a boat that drove more like a sports car instead of a 'big boat' sluggish feel, and still be fuel economical.

We settled into a 24 ft Maxum cruiser with a 5.0L single screw which we love. It has a full head, hot/cold water, microwave, alcohol electric, A/C, refrigerator, fore and aft cabins with are roomy, and the cabin is 6'2" or so, so it doesn't have the cuddy cramped feel. In this range there is Searay, Bayliner, and many others.

From what you are asking, this sounds like a good suggestion.

Here are some repo and toy salvage sites:
http://www.crankyape.com/
http://www.recreationalsalvage.com/
http://www.toysalvage.com/

The salvage sites sell repos sometimes. It's a long, patient, risky process to go this way....and of course there is the holy grail craigslist.org

What is always appreciated is to update and check in here (iboats forum) as you do your research.

Best of luck!

Sharust

Cadet

Thanks.. I will visit these sites and see what I find.

So, you are saying the cruisers work fine as an occasional sport boat for tubing or sking? I would think by having a different selection of props I could maybe get the best of both worlds if my plans for the day involve either cruising or pulling skiers? I fully understand that there is no "one boat fits all" but I would like to try to find something that can be used in various ways even if it means not having one that fits one catagory perfectly. So preferences are... in the following order:

• I would say that it needs to be capable of sleeping a minumum or two (preferably 4 even if it is under a canopy).

• Some sort of head (pump out would be nice but I could deal with port a potty if I had too.

• "Decent" sea worthyness for the great lakes.

• Occasional sking and tubing (even if it needs a prop change to do this)

• Need to be able to tow it to various destinations and store it at home. I already have a one ton tow vehicle that I have used to tow an 8500 lb GW tag trailer. I also have an 8.5' slide in camper that I plan to use that has a shower, stove, refrige, ect... that the kids could sleep in if we dock near the truck at night.

• Decent speed without huge fuel consumption (I know that is vague but it is far down the list and I may only use that in a tie breaking situation between two boats

I will definitely keep everyone updated as my search goes on and after I find what I am looking for. :D

Tommyfmu

Seaman

Tubing is one thing, but pulling a skier out of the water is something completely different. What it is going to come down to is choosing between a cuddy cabin or open bow for water skiing, or a cruiser with amenities and pump out head, which would be a heavier boat; ok for tubing but not for skiing or wakeboarding.

To clarify, any boat with a pump out head is going to be a cruiser, and heavier than a cuddy cabin. In order to pull water skiers up and out, your boat, you will have to have a cuddy or open bow; minimum of 5.0ltr 220 hp on like a 22 ft, at about 4500 lbs max. Cuddy's with a porta potty are mostly good for day trips, but sleeping onboard can be a bit cramped.

I think your decision is going to be between water sports, or a step larger with head and other amenities, and you can tube with a larger boat, but it's tough to ski.

Sharust

Cadet

What about skiing behind something like this? It is a 23 ft with 300 hp. Also.. by changing props can I get by with using it as a ski boat one weekend and a "mini-cruiser" the next? As I understand props, they are the "gear of the boat" so it would be geared different with a different prop. Again, I realize it probably won't be the perfect boat for either but I can only have one..LOL:D;)

We may just do this for a while then if the kids stop going much we could trade it on a real cruiser in a couple years..

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2004-Rinker-232-Captiva-Cuddy-95477922

Tommyfmu

Seaman

What about skiing behind something like this? It is a 23 ft with 300 hp. Also.. by changing props can I get by with using it as a ski boat one weekend and a "mini-cruiser" the next? As I understand props, they are the "gear of the boat" so it would be geared different with a different prop. Again, I realize it probably won't be the perfect boat for either but I can only have one..LOL:D;)

With 300hp I'm sure this will be a fine ski boat; nice looking too. I see no reason to have to change props. The only situation you would have needed to is on a larger, heavier cruiser, in decreasing the pitch to get better hole shot, but because this cuddy is lighter than a cruiser, the mfr. spec'd prop will be fine for skiing and cruising probably. Good luck.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Day use is one thing, overnighting is another, put together a list of the activities you expect your boat to do, and can you haul it behind your vehicle? then you can start shopping.:)

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

As nice as that Rinker looks I would question how "seaworthy" it is. For extended trips (even just day trips) on the Great Lakes, you want a boat that will have no issues handling waves, rain and shedding water when needed. That Rinker has a pretty low bow and it seems that it may have a tendecy to dunk its bow under a wave on occasion.

As I mentioned previously a Walk Around cuddy may be better suited to use on the Great Lakes. This is just a suggestion. I am a fan of the Tiara/Pursuit boats. Here is an example of a boat that may work well for you.

http://boats.iboats.com/pursuit_boats/534042.html

The ad doesn't mention what motor is in the boat. However, it has a DuoProp so I have to assume it is at the very least a 5.0 V8.

hdl

Cadet

WHATEVER YOU BUY GET A QUALIFIED MARINE SURVEYOR TO LOOK IT OVER. Mine saved me from making a $26,000 mistake and could have possibly even saved my life! This is extremely important! It will be the best $300-$400 investment you will make.

Sharust

Cadet

Thanks for all of the feedback so far. I have learned quite a bit since joining this forum. I have read alot of the threads here and some stuff is starting to make sense.

I'll keep ya posted :D;)