what type of control do I need

Marioleonard

Seaman
I just got a 1974 115hp evinrude. I was wondering if you guys could tell me what type of control box I need. I dont not know if it is electric shift or not I dont even know how to find that one out my 75hp is manuel shift I know that one. The model # is 115493-B. Thanks for the help

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: what type of control do I need

Your 115 is likely a mechanical shift with hydraulic assist. My manual shows 65 - 135 hp 1973 - 1975 and 85 - 200 hp 1976 - 1977. Electric shift was 65hp 1972 and older and smaller motors 1972 and older. The plain mechanical shift shows to be in 70hp 1976 and 1977, 75hp 1975 - 1977 and all units 1978and on.

Your shift rod connector connects to the shift linkage, right under the lower carburetor.:cool:

Marioleonard

Seaman

So what type of control box do I get? I am going to by one of those manuals soon to.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

If you're going to buy one from a Marine Parts dealor or salvage, all you should have to do is let them know what motor you have and they'll get you fixed up. You most likely will have to take your motor along with, so the wiring plug will mate up to the one on your motor. Seloc Volume III will have a lot of good info on the shift boxes in chapter 7.

If you're buying one from a private party, again, anything that has cables that connect to your shifter and throttle will work and make sure the electrical conectors will mate up. The motors that I specified in my earlier post here will most likely take the same control box, so availability should be good. Yours will most likely be a single lever/dual cable:cool:

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

If your motor has PT&T or if you plan to add it later, look for a 1973 -1978 Evinrude Power Pilot or Johnson Command Center control that has the trim switch in the handle; the 1978 models and some 1977 controls had it built in and there was also a replacement handle kit with the switch.

The main harness from the control should have a large red plug.

Except for ther shift and throttle cables, the surface mount controls from 1979 up to the early 1990's are also compatible.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

your motor is a 1974. it has a hydro-mechanical shift, lower unit. for reference, it is compatible with 1973,1975 johnson evinrudes.

Marioleonard

Seaman

there's no place I can buy one new? I have to fing them old right cause of the wire harnes. It only has on shift/throttle cable right? can I get one from iboats

tashasdaddy

any harness with the red engine end plug will work on that motor. you need a pre 1979 controll so the throttle and shift cables are correct. 1979 and newer have different ends on them.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

there's no place I can buy one new? I have to fing them old right cause of the wire harnes. It only has on shift/throttle cable right? can I get one from iboats

You should easily be able to buy a control box at your local marin dealor. All you should have to do is tell them what motor you have and they will be able to fix you up. You should even be able to find one here at iBoats too.:cool:

Marioleonard

Seaman

is the red plug supposed to be conted to the motor or the control box? and if I get ont from iboats what one should I get that will work?

tashasdaddy

the red plug is the electrical harness, it controls the alarm, the ignition switch. they ignition switch, does not have to be in the control. it can be mounted on the dash. the control is mainly for the shift and throttle. your motor requires you to use type 400 Cables for controls http://www.iboats.com/OMC_Cont_Cabl...0140584--**********.350430734--view_id.169404

1979 and later control boxes use type 479 Cables, the ends of the cables are different.

http://www.iboats.com/Johnson_Type_...0140584--**********.350430734--view_id.250882

if you can find a control that will accept type 400 cable you will be fine. if not you have to go to a used control.

also the red plug harness are no longer being made, by BRP.

Marioleonard

Seaman

ok but I have a manuel shift with hyd asst right. does the harness control that two? I need to know what type of control I can use. I have all the cables. I have a control box from my 1961 75hp johnson but I dont think that will work.

tashasdaddy

if your 61 box has 2 cables, and 2 handles it will work on the 73, they used the same cables. the red harness is just for on, off, starting, and the over heat alarm. if you have either one of these shifters it will work.

duracraftignition001.jpg

MVC-733S.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f119/tashasdaddy
/duracraftignition002.jpg

you have a private message.

Marioleonard

Seaman

mine is a 74 but it will still work right? and thanks for the help that clear's it up for me. buy and chance do you know what mix I should use for the 115hp?

tashasdaddy

50:1 87 octane, TC-W3 outboard oil. if it were mine, i would change all fuel line to alcohol resistant lines. see the TOP SECRET FILE, 1st thread in this forum.

Marioleonard

Seaman
help with my 115hp

help with my 115hp

ok another question were can I get that kind of fuel hose and does anyone know what kinda gas per hour it use's? I was told that my 61 75hp get real carppy gas per hour. They said like 7.9 gallons per hour.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The rule of thumb is 10% of the rated HP in gallons per hour or around 11.5 gallons per hour at WOT for a 115.

Since you would not normally run wide open, the fuel use could be considerably less as long as you are on plane and not overpropped.

tashasdaddy

Re: help with my 115hp

Re: help with my 115hp

auto parts store, boat supply store. rule of thumb for fuel usage, is 1 gallon per hour for each 10 hp, at wide open throttle, so 115 ran for one hours will burn in the range of 11.5 gallons per hour. proper engine height, trim, and prop, for the motor and hull configuration, will improve this. most fuel lines now day are alcohol resistant.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Any OMC control box with a built in harness with a red cannon plug will work. Those were made from 1973 to 1995. The early shift and throttle cables had removable ends, the later ones had the ends made on the cable. Either will work. You can use a side mount box, a binacle mount or a conceled side mount. There are also aftermarket control boxes that will work, anything advertised to work with 1973 - 1995 motors will work. 1996 & newer boat harnesses did not have a red cannon plug but can be adapted to work on your motor.