boat heavy oxidataion

mpc

Cadet
I have a 22 ft searay and I have issues with heavy to medium oxidation how can I bring back that luster. Someone on here had posted that Mark42 had a good article on restoration can anyone help.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: boat heavy oxidataion

Welcome to iboats.

This might get you angry but I suggest now that you have registered...... use the search function

Put Mark42 in as the member's name and search the Restoration Forum...... Mark did that about 5 years ago ;)

oops!

Supreme Mariner

i just skimmed that article......

it will work.....BUT

the product is called farecla....it is made for that reason. try the 300 first....then the 200 then the glaze

use a proper polisher ....harbour freght has a good one for cheap....a vary speed sander polisher....

use the farecla on the sponge applicator with the polisher on about 900 rpm....and push with medium pressure....you dont want to burn the polish just work it in.

what you are doing is actually sanding the gellcoat with a proper gellcoat paste.
the 300 is made for larger scratches hence it has more grit...a 19 foot boat takes 1.5 hours per application...

repeat the process with the 200....then finally with the glaze.....(that is your wax.....but its not a wax)

then stand back and wear your sunglasses....

i have done 40 year old boats that way and the oxidation does not return and the owners are over joyed with the results

cheers
oops

oops!

Supreme Mariner

and by the way....welcome to i boats :D

woosterken

Lieutenant

oops,
where do you get this farecla stuff,sounds like some thing i would like to try.
do you have to take every thing off the boat,( cleats,lites,and rails) or just go around them?

woosterken

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hi woosterkin :D

it is a professional product avaliblle at the same places that actually sell gellcoat.
there is a product for cars....and one for marine...(gellcoat)

im in canada and i get mine locally at industrial plastic supplies....

jody..(ondarvr) will know where you can get it in the states, but any professional fiberglass supplier will have it....it is now the industry standard.

cheers
oops

woosterken

Lieutenant

oh ok, thanks
i have to see if jamestown dist. has it.

woosterken