Shiftting Problems On Mercruser Alpha One

wez1585

Cadet
HI EVERY ONE, AM NEW TO THIS FORUM. I JUST PURCHED A 1985 WELLCRAFT WITH A 260HP MERCRUSER AND ALPHA ONE DRIVE. WHEN I GOT IT I RAN THE ENGINE ON MUFFS AND IT WAS NOT PUMPING WATER. SO I TOOK THE DRIVE OFF AND REPLACED THE WATER PUMP. WHEN I GOT THE DRIVE BACK ON I WAS NOT ABLE TO SHIFT. I THOGHT I HAD DONE SOMTHING WRONG SO I PULLED THE DRIVE BACK OFF AND EVERYTHIG LOOKED FINE. BUT WHEN I TOOK A CLOSER LOOK I THINK I FOUND MY PROBLEM AND DONT KNOW HOW TO FIX IT. TOSHIFT MY DRIVE IT SHIFTS MOSTLY CLOCK-WISE. BUT WHEN YOU SHIFT FROM THE CONTOLS THE TRANSOME TURNS COUNTER CLOCK-WISE. CAN ANYONE HELP ME PLEASE.:confused:

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Shiftting Problems On Mercruser Alpha One

put the drive and control both in forward and then re install.

wez1585

Cadet

I Did That As Specified By The Manual. But When I Put The Drive On I Can Only Shift Fwd. Because The Drives Shifts Mostly One Way And The Transom Cable Goes The Other Way.

QC

Supreme Mariner

What he said ^^^^

Welcome aboard wez!! Take a look at the adults only sticky above and look for your service manual. Also, you should consider dropping the caps lock thing. Bugs some of us cranky old farts :)

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

if your control and drive are having that issue your drive isnt in forward it's probably in reverse or neutral.

wez1585

Cadet

ok i put the controls in fwd. this gets the tansom shift pice straight. i just put the drive the same way and when i get it back on all the way i still have the same problem. which way is the transom shifter supossed to rotate clock-wise or counter clock-wise?

joey maneri

Petty Officer 3rd Class

these drives dont shift easy unless the gears are turning. sometimes you need to turn the prop when shifting, or have the motor running. Did it shift easy from the controls when the outdrive was off? Did the outdrive itself shift when it was off?

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

6. Position drive unit shift shaft coupler so that is
straight forward by turning coupler clockwise
while simultaneously turning propeller shaft
counterclockwise.
a - Drive Unit Shift Shaft Coupler
IMPORTANT: Be sure to install RH or LH drive unit
on the appropriate transom assembly when making
dual engine installations. The LH rotation
drive unit can be identified by the decal on the
back side of the upper drive shaft housing, which
states:
?Alpha One-Counter Rotation?
7. Place gasket on bell housing.
8. Install sterndrive unit as follows:
a. Position trim cylinder straight back (over top
of acceleration plate). Be careful not to
scratch acceleration plate or trim cylinders.
b. Guide U-joint shaft through gimbal bearing
and into engine coupler while simultaneously
guiding shift slide into drive shaft housing.
Make sure shift slide remains upright and engaged
with bell housing shift shaft lever.
IMPORTANT: If drive unit will not slide all the way
into bell housing, check shift shaft coupler to ensure
they are positioned properly. Do not force
drive unit into position.

wez1585

Cadet

yes they both shifted easy when they where off.

wez1585

Cadet

thanks guys i'll try that tomorrow and let you know if it worked.

wez1585

Cadet

ok am back.
today i tryed what you guys said but it didnt work. am still having the same problem. i see that to shift my drive into fwd gear i have to spin the shift shaft countrer clockwise and the prop clockwise. when i read the manual it says its the opposite. what am i doing wrong?

ziggy

Admiral

unless i'm miss reading, looks like everyone is telling ya about proper procedures for installing the drive. they're all correct. but to do a impeller, ya had to separate the lower and upper. my suspicion is your problem lies there.

here's what your drive should do for a normal rotation drive. in

fwd. prop locks ccw, ratchets cw
neutral. prop free wheels
rev. prop locks cw, ratchets ccw.

with drive attached the shift coupler should be facing fore and aft when if fwd. the coupler will move to port about 35-40*. when full to port it's in rev. half way in between is neutral.

1st, confirm improper operation fully assembled.
2nd, remove shift cable from shift plate inside boat and see if ya can shift (move the cable) by hand. the coupler should and prop should meet above criteria.
3. remove drive. manually try to move shift coupler and see if prop meets criteria.
4. separate upper and lower, shift lower by hand at shift shaft. see prop meet criteria.
assuming the lower shift proper, put in fwd. prop locked ccw. bungee cord prop loaded ccw to insure it stays in fwd. don't forget the washer on top of the lower shift shaft. assemble upper and lower. confirm proper shift at coupler in upper.
again, put drive in fwd. load prop ccw with bungee. coupler will be facing fore and aft. put helm in fwd. bellhouseing coupler will be facing fore and aft. assemble. careful with the shift shaft slide. it is easy to disengage with the shift shaft lever during assembly.
confirm proper shift from inside boat manually moving cable and observe proper prop lock.
put everything in fwd. shift cable barrels at 6'' and reattach. check for proper shift..

i think the problem lies in the lower to upper connection, or a missing washer maybe on top of the lower shift shaft. all common errors during reassembly...

wez1585

Cadet

thanks zigy.
i just whent out side and checked on the out drive when i put the shift lever
30-45* to port my prop locks cw
about 90* to stbd my prop locks ccw.
now my bell housing shift slot is fore and aft when the controls are in fwd. and when in rev the shift slot turns about 90* to port opposite fron the drive.
and have no clue wich one is turing the wrong way.

"G"

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I bet the shift cable is broken or worn out at the drive unit. That's most commonly the shift issues on Mercruisers. Check that out... then once you have a new cable installed with the new shift cable precisely cut to length go through the shift adjust sequence again.

I suppose the problem could be in the control box too.

fishrdan

Admiral

and when in rev the shift slot turns about 90* to port opposite fron the drive. and have no clue wich one is turing the wrong way.

Make the drive's shift foot mimic what the bellhousing's shift arm is doing, centered for drive and off to port for reverse. I make the same mistake this weekend and had to drop the lower unit an inch or so to get the shift rod positioned correctly. I was off 1 tooth...

(BTW, since you didn't do anything to the shift cables and shift arm in the bell housing, makes sense that the shift arm in the bell housing is correct.)

wez1585

Cadet

thanks guys.
i was able to solve the problem. fishrdam you where right i was a cluple teeth of. somthing so smal had me ticked of but thank you.

MDJ1016

Seaman Apprentice

I had the dealer put new bellows, bearings (Gimbel I believe is the spelling) and clean the drive up. The bellows leaked and I had water in there for a short time so being the age of boat I had the items done. More fun to play then stare at boat on hoist at the repair center. Anyways as to the cable- I would replace it, as when the dealer rebuild the items above he suggested a new cable and I tried to cheat the system. The ending story was a new cable installed, and bang, boat ran even better. (Well in my mind?)