Rebuilding stringers...help

boarderj84

Recruit
So I just ripped up the floor of my 1974 Morgan outisland and the stringers are shot Anysuggestions or info on how to rebuild would be very helpful

kenny26

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Rebuilding stringers...help

Well if you can grind the glass off the old ones enough to take them out in one piece and use them as templates, that's probably your best bet. As long as you can get them close you can bed the new ones in PL or fiberglass peanut butter putty.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome to iboats.

I know a family that sailed their Morgan from NY to Europe, Africa and returned..... really nice boats.

Well, first before you go too much further I suggest some basic homework ...... you are dealing with a 33' boat.

As a "primer" I would suggest reading http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=234392 that thread by oops is even indexed. Many of the methods are the same but the scale is somewhat larger in your case.

Post a few pictures and take your time. Restoration is not a race to get things done right ;)

boarderj84

Recruit

Great thanks for the advice so far!

So after taking up the floor I have noticed that the stringers are not F/G.ed down to the boat infact they are free floating.

So far here is my plan for the new stringers.

1 cut stringers to match hull shape

2 space stringers where old ones were and Epoxy them in place.

3 F/G around wood

The dilema: this boat looks as though it were worked on by someone who did not know how to build proper flooring and they simply left the stringers free floating so there is was no F/G structure to work with, simply a blank hull.
the only thing secured to the hull was the actual floor which was F/G down.

THE MAIN QUESTION: Are the stringers supposed to F/g to the hull or should they be loose, epoxied.... ?

here is a pic with the floor removed you can see the 2x4 sits right on the hull with no type of glue just free floats.

boarderj84

Recruit

here is the photo

Attachments

• resized stringer.JPG
    resized stringer.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 0

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Well those appear to be supports for the decking..... ;) you can build them and attach them to the hull..... most people here use PL adhesive to bed the wood to the hull...... then some fiberglass.

You can rebuild those deck supports with plywood sandwiched together and covered in fiberglass...... it would be a more solid deck.

boarderj84

Recruit

Ok thanks, I'm getting a better picture here VT.

So would you suggest putting a bedding material between the wooden supports and the fiberglass hull, possibly Rubber gasket material.

boarderj84

Recruit

So the two new supports have been built and the cabin sole will be finished soon.

*The transom sits further aft the Fiberglass you see is support that holds the engine block.

5200 is in place and holding!!

any suggestions about storage that could be built in place below deck?

Attachments

• cabin sole replacement 004.FIXED.JPG
    cabin sole replacement 004.FIXED.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 0
  • cabin sole replacement 012.FIXED.JPG
    cabin sole replacement 012.FIXED.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 0
  • cabin sole replacement 006.FIXED.JPG
    cabin sole replacement 006.FIXED.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 0