Rodbolt advice needed on PTT pump filter falling apart

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
The trim motor on my 1999 C40TLRX is rusty, so I decided to pull the whole unit to be able to get to the motor easier to clean up and repaint.
When I tried to remove the bottom large shaft/bolt that runs through the assembly it would not move so I tapped on it with a brass rod and hammer trying to drive it out. I can not move it, so I am soaking it with penetrating oil.

My first question is are these shaft/bolts normally difficult to remove and if so what is the best way to do it ,just beat it out?

When I went to lower the motor the tilt motor bound up and quit working. I finally was able to remove the tilt motor from the pump without removing the whole T&T unit and found the foam looking filter between the motor and pump degraded to the point that I could not pick it out of the unit. It just fell completely apart. I also found the motor had some rust packed around the armature and the magnets had come unglued from the case. Apparently the hammering on the bolt running through the Tilt unit vibrated it loose. It has never had a problem before this

So my second question is, Is this normal for these filters to degrade like this and is this going to cause me problems if I just clean it up the best I can and install a new filter when I put a motor back on?
Or do I need to completely dissemble the unit to clean? This maybe a problem since I can not remove the bottom pin/bolt/shaft to get the PTT off the motor.

Last edited:

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: Rodbolt advice needed on PTT pump filter falling apart

I changed the title some to hopefully get Rodbolt's attention and see if he or someone else with info to give me would respond.

I ended up rigging a catch bottle up to my shop vac and sucked the filter material and contaminated fluid off of the pump area and flushed it with ATF and vacuumed it again. Hopefully this will be clean enough.

So I am still looking for answers to the original Questions and this additional one.

I do not see this foam filter in the newer models and am wondering if it is necessary to reinstall a new one?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

dunno
saltwater is wonderful stuff.
just replace the tilt motor,clean up what you can and install a new filter.
they sre still avalible and not expensive.

ken52

Petty Officer 1st Class

The trim motor on my 1999 C40TLRX is rusty, so I decided to pull the whole unit to be able to get to the motor easier to clean up and repaint.
When I tried to remove the bottom large shaft/bolt that runs through the assembly it would not move so I tapped on it with a brass rod and hammer trying to drive it out. I can not move it, so I am soaking it with penetrating oil.

My first question is are these shaft/bolts normally difficult to remove and if so what is the best way to do it ,just beat it out?

When I went to lower the motor the tilt motor bound up and quit working. I finally was able to remove the tilt motor from the pump without removing the whole T&T unit and found the foam looking filter between the motor and pump degraded to the point that I could not pick it out of the unit. It just fell completely apart. I also found the motor had some rust packed around the armature and the magnets had come unglued from the case. Apparently the hammering on the bolt running through the Tilt unit vibrated it loose. It has never had a problem before this

So my second question is, Is this normal for these filters to degrade like this and is this going to cause me problems if I just clean it up the best I can and install a new filter when I put a motor back on?
Or do I need to completely dissemble the unit to clean? This maybe a problem since I can not remove the bottom pin/bolt/shaft to get the PTT off the motor.

Any luck getting these bolts out? I have to remove my assembly too due to broken pump motor bolts so I've been soaking mine with penetrating oil first.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

penatrating oil wont work.
clorox works better.
most penatrents are for iron oxide and we deal with aluminum oxide.
simply drill out those bolts and retap the holes.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Any luck getting these bolts out? I have to remove my assembly too due to broken pump motor bolts so I've been soaking mine with penetrating oil first.

No, I have not tried any more since I got the PTT motor off and everything cleaned up.
I am waiting for the foam filter I ordered to show up and then I will see if the thing functions properly. I do not plan on removing the whole unit unless I have to, because you know how these things just keep getting worse the more you try to do the more things break.I even hated to try to remove the anode bolts because I know they may break off.

It is very interesting about the Clorox that Rodbolt mentioned I will have to try it to see if it will help loosen/remove the white corrosion between the stainless bolt/shaft part #37 and the clamp bracket #1 & #2.
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Outboard/1999/C40TLRX/BRACKET 1/parts.html

Can someone tell me if the anode bolts clamp the clamp bracket spacer to the shaft/ bolt and needs to be removed before the shaft/ bolt can be driven out to release PTT unit? the manual does not say.

ken52

Petty Officer 1st Class

99Yam, I know exactly what your mean about one thing always leads to another couple things some times.

I'll have to try that clorox tip too.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

no, the anode bolts do not have to be removed to remove the pin.
I usually use copious amounts of smoke.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Thanks Rodbolt, I was afraid of that. Just hope I do not have to remove it any time soon.

How does the thing with the Clorox work? Just put it on like you would penetrating oil or fluid to help dissolve the corrosion, and keep repeating?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

I understand that stainless metals have a problem with stress cracking when exposed to Chlorine. Does this Clorox thing, what ever it is ,have anything that will cause problems in the future?

Maybe not if you replace the bolt once it is removed from the hole it is stuck in.
I also understand that dry chlorine + iron + heat will have a violent reaction. Do you think this is the reason the chlorox system helps remove the stuck components when you use copious amounts of smoke?

Still looking for the way you use the Clorox Rodbolt.