Prop Size And Gear Ratio

45Auto

Commander
Re: Prop Size And Gear Ratio

Pretty garbled up article. He doesn't fully understand the differences between torque, power, and thrust. He seems to kind of mish-mash everything around till it sounds good to him.

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

There's a good bit better sources of information out there, but he makes some important points. overall I would agree with 45auto...

Bondo

Staff member

There's a good bit better sources of information out there, but he makes some important points. overall I would agree with 45auto...

Ayuh,.... I have a reasobably Good handle on his topic, yet I read it Twice...
I think it muddies, rather than explains much of Anything...

His hypothical choices are just off base to me...:rolleyes:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

He appears to arrive at a couple of correct conclusions based on incorrect reasoning. I hesitate to say he doesn't know what he is talking about, just perhaps he doesn't know how to properly explain his reasoning. All in all, not a very good reference.

QC

Supreme Mariner

He appears to arrive at a couple of correct conclusions based on incorrect reasoning. I hesitate to say he doesn't know what he is talking about, just perhaps he doesn't know how to properly explain his reasoning. All in all, not a very good reference.
I Agree. Personally, I think it's a mess. There are even math errors, like 2400 RPM Torque = 368 lb/ft, insert 2:1 ratio and you get 1200 RPM and 919 lb/ft. WTF . . . :rolleyes: I actually know how he screwed it up, but there are people that go away thinking that there is some voodo in the math, and there isn't.

His diameter discussion is especially lacking. Based on his first paragraph, I should add an inch diameter and leaving pitch the same I'll lose 500 RPM and go just as fast . . . Or some other equally stupid conclusion.