74 135hp rude tnt and motor info

rednekbowfisher

Seaman Apprentice
hi everyone I have a few questions that I hope you all may be able to help me with.
I have a 1974 modle 135489 b s# j000140 9 I bought a boat recently for the hull and it had this motor on it. The original owner of the boat had re wired the tilt unit and place a different hydrolic line on it appears to be of a grease gun line as seen in the pictures. My ? are

1. is this actually a tilt and trim or just tilt unit
2. is this a 2 wire or 3 wire unit (he has it ran to what appears to be a starter solenoid)
3. what series is this motor and tnt unit I am not that familar with this old of a motor

Thank-you for your help

Attachments

• phpaMoXQ1AM.jpg
    phpaMoXQ1AM.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 0
  • phphjAlfzAM.jpg
    phphjAlfzAM.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 0

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 74 135hp rude tnt and motor info

the up sequence, is operated with a solenoid, regular switch could not carry the current needed.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

1) Looks to be a TNT unit but non factory plumbing
2) 3 wire -ground=blk, green=down, blue=up.. usually tied to solenoid
3) Calco unit with you can get a replacment motor for but pump parts are NLA, can be customized thru API if repair is needed.

rednekbowfisher

Seaman Apprentice

thank you for the info I just finished gutting the boat and starting on the motor so Im trying to figure this whole plumbing and wire butcher job out.

rednekbowfisher

Seaman Apprentice

would anyone have a pic of the proper hydrolic plumbing work

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Since many of the parts for this trim unit were discontinued years ago, the prior owner used his resources to get the trim to operate as best he could. You can see the original parts diagram for your trim unit on this website: epc.brp.com. Just look for your year engine and the power trim diagram is included. You do see some of these older trim units on ebay every once in a while-might be a way to pickup NLA parts. Some dealers carry stock on NLA items, like Sea-Way marine in Seattle.

rednekbowfisher

Seaman Apprentice

thanks a bunch I just printed off the diagram helped alot I have got the tilt and the trim part wired and working good but when I tilt it up it does not hold has a nice slow leak so now I am going to go threw the steps of checking fluid and looking for leaks this unit has 3 flat head plugs on it on big one mid ways and 2 at the bottom looking to the front of the boat one on left is the manual ( smaller of the 3) bottom right drain higher of the 3 should be the fill

Thank-you all for your help have not got my repair manual in yet Ps gonna fire the motor up tonight hopefully

rednekbowfisher

Seaman Apprentice

well motor fired right up but after changing the tnt fluid and looking for leaks it still will not hold it moves up and down great but it will not hold appears to be loosing pressure so to speak I also placed it under a load in the trim position and to no eval it still is loosing pressure so I guess now where should I start?

rednekbowfisher

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for all the help been reading for a while on hear and it seams to me that I have a leaking seal or a faulty valve body there are no external leaks so im thinking its gotta be an internal thing

thank you again there is a lot of great information on this site

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Could be leaking internally around the piston seals/orings. It's not hard to take the cylinders apart with a simple spanner wrench. Possible the internal orings/seals are still available from Bombardier. Check out seal kit 172575-it's probably been superceded to another number maybe 174520. (need 2 pcs)

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

I've found the diagrams in the thumbnails helpful when working on these units.

Attachments

• 3 Wire.JPG
    3 Wire.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 1975 PT&T 3.jpg
    1975 PT&T 3.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 0
  • 1975 PT&T 2.jpg
    1975 PT&T 2.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 0
  • 1975 PT&T 1.jpg
    1975 PT&T 1.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 0

rednekbowfisher

Seaman Apprentice

great that helps alot thank-you very much getting ready to pull it of this week

rednekbowfisher

Seaman Apprentice

update after studing my new manual about the tnt unit I was able to get the tnt unit of and will be starting tear down of the unit this week

rednekbowfisher

Seaman Apprentice

well I have got the unit torn down ALL orings have little nicks in them on both cylinders also the manual release and check valve orings have nicks unit was dirty allmost like sand had gotten in or the person before me did a very sloppy job of repairing. Cylinder walls do not look bad and the valve body seems to be ok. I did not take the top of the valve body apart but it appears like it has 2 check balls which freely move and a spring inside, I am going to try and find a oring kit and soak the valve body to clean the inside out, will also have to make a new low pressure line high pressure lines seem to be ok. Since the unit did raise and lower I am hoping that all of the orings being nicked was the cause of my leak down.

would anyone have a diagram of the inside of the valve body I know that there has to be some sort of gear or pump inside there to move the fluid I am just woundring if since I have it tore down this for If I should go ahead and split the valve body in two, I am leary of doing that since parts are NLA