Spring capacities

nodima

Seaman Apprentice
I need to replace the leaf springs on my trailer. The existing springs are 3 leaf, and have a capacity of 1000lbs each. The boat is a 1993 Sea Nymph backtroller, 16.5' long. My guess is that it is ~1100lbs loaded. <br /><br />I ordered springs this week, but they sent 5-leaf springs rather than the 3-leaf ones. These have a capacity of 1500lbs. Is this an ok situation, or is there a compelling reason to wait the extra week or two for the 3-leaf springs? <br /><br />Thanks<br />kirk

sangerwaker

Commander
Re: Spring capacities

I think those 5 leafer's are too heavy duty. Your trailer will bounce on the bumps as there is probably not enough weight to compress the springs. If it were me, I would wait for the correct springs.

nodima

Seaman Apprentice

That is the direction I am leaning, thanks.

Northern Eclipse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If you can't get the correct springs, Then you might try your luck taking the old ones to a spring shop and getting a new set made or take the five leaf in to shop a have a leaf or two removed.

Bob in Calif.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

nodima.............<br /><br />I had the same problem with a trailer replacement. The original trailer, that came with my boat, was a single axel, without brakes. I have an older 18' Campion cuddy cabin, that weighs about 1/3 more than a Bayliner of the same length.<br /><br />I got a fantastic deal on a tamdem trailer, with brakes and re-configuered the bed to fit my boat. It tows fantastic, with one exception.<br /><br />I towed my boat to the Sea of Cortez, on the mainland Mexico side, from The San Francisco Peninsula. I thought the trailer might be an over kill, with the extra capacity, as the trailer was made for a much heavier boat, but the trailer was brand new and I got for half of the list price. :D <br /><br />When I returned from the 3000+ mile trip, I was removing my stuff from the interior of the boat, when I noticed both sides of the bulkhead had come completely loose from it's mounting's.<br /><br />I had to completely refasten the bulkhead due to the bouncing, caused by the lack of leaf spring flex, driving on the lesser quality roads down there.<br /><br />I plan on going bck there this winter for a month, but prior to the trip, I am going to replace the 3 leaf springs with 2 leaf, with a lesser weight capacity. <br /><br />I deducted the the estimated boat weight from the actual trailer gross weight capacity, figuering in the actual trailer weight and found I could use the lighter 2 leaf springs, and still be way under the "new" gross capacity, thus avoiding the damage that occured on the last trip and going back to a single axel trailer.<br /><br />...Bob in Calif...

Realgun

Commander

Ah said the uninformed man. I want to replace the springs and axle and fenders on my trailer so I can use a bigger better tire. I was going to go with the higher capacity springs. Good thing i red the posts. Can shocks be retrofitted to trailers? And can you use the torsion springs insead of leaf springs and how?