Do I need a Bilge Blower

ozenine

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am continuing my investigations in the magic field of boating and have a dumb question. Is the bilge blower needed for the outboard engine boat?
From one side everywhere I looked on the web they talk about inboard engines and possibility of the fuel vapors igniting. On another hand, logically speaking the fuel tank is inside of the outboard boat, so the possibility of spills and ignition is still there.
I am confused.....
Thanks

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: Do I need a Bilge Blower

Not needed for an outboard.

You should be able to stick your head in the bilge area or storage compartments and NOT smell gas.
If you do smell gas then that must be ;)fixed..

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

No blower needed on an outboard, you are safe. The ignition danger comes from the engine, and with an outboard it is outside the boat in open air, so any fuel fumes will get blown away well before it gets to the engine.

ozenine

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys! I anticipated that but it is way better to have a confirmation from somebody who actually knows what he is talking about ;)

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yup ^^^^^^^ can safely be applied to many subjects ;)

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

there is an exception..... If you have a gen set in an enclosed area you also need a blower.... just posted up for searchers in the future

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

This is all assuming that the only "normal" constant opening in the gas system is the mouth of the carb or fuel injection throttle body.
Any whiff of fuel in any compartment must be traced to the source and fixed, pronto.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Should not need one as stated in above posts. I would go for an automatic bilge pump though if you do not have one.

cribber

Lieutenant

It's not required for an outboard, but couldn't hurt if you had one along with a bilge pump.

Fisherball

Chief Petty Officer

I would definitely keep the area with the gas tank ventilated if it's in a closed area. My 1st boat had a permanent tank under the deck right in front of the transom that had a door on it. It had an inlet air scoop aimed forward & an outlet air scoop aimed backwards (to create a vacuum when moving forward) with a 3" or 4" hose run down to the center of the space. It always kept the air under there fairly fresh which removed any fuel gases & help prevent mold/mildew from forming.

NYBo

Admiral

Well, you would need a blower, or at least proper natural ventilation if you have portable tanks in an enclosed compartment, as per my vessel safety check manual.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

No need, as long as you're not one of those guys that just built a nice enclosed box to hide your unsightly fuel cans in.

ozenine

Petty Officer 1st Class

No need, as long as you're not one of those guys that just built a nice enclosed box to hide your unsightly fuel cans in.

I would never do that. I do not use any fuel cans - what for? I usually just pour gas in the bilge area. Then I can just stick the fuel intake line in there and be done with it. It is "natural" gas tank. ;) :D

snowman48047

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hmmm...this got me thinking. I have a 20' Lund and I put my backup 3 gallon can in the floor in the forward most comaprtment just to get it out of the way when I've got 2-3 peeps with me fishing. Maybe thats not such a good idea? That compartment is not vented. Maybe under the console would be better? Its open to the rear and enclosed on only 3 sides.

Philster

Captain

It is not a good idea to store that can/tank in an enclosed area.

Move it, as you suggested.

Any area that allows gas fumes to build is just missing one other bad ingredient: A spark.

tkrfxr

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's also a good idea to post (and enforce) a NO SMOKING sign in any gas-powered boat, of any size...

For safety and health reasons....:)